Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting?

i have a 30g and have a 150watt MH light. would that be enough to house inverts or corals that need high lighting needs? say Sps's or Anemone's (Carpets) those kinds of things?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In short yes. Some people would say a 250w or more is needed to get the best coloration, growth, etc. out of high light corals, such as SPS like brightly colored Acroporas. But, IMO, a 150 over a 30 would give very pleasant results.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Depending on placement. I would put the high-light corals like acros toward the top so they receive the the best light. Anemones would be fine as well, however, I would very leary of housing a carpet anemone in a 30gal. They can be very distructive ans should be provided with plenty of room. I suggest a BTA instead.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Brian on the anemone! BTA will do much better in a 30, carpets are expensive and are more difficult to care for.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree also that your lighting should be enough. As Brian said place your High light corals on top.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well here the story.i am sad to say my best friend for 22 yrs is moving away form me. he got me into the hobby and there no way he going to be able to move his 75g reef set up all the way to LA, so he parting with his best friends( his corals and fish) and givin them to his best bud. he has a few sps and lps corals and has a green carpet anonome. thats about med size. hes about 1 year old and in great shape. i am also reciving a few hermits and snails and a golby and o.clown. if i dont take these guys the chances of the corals and invters living are very slim. the local fish store is taken some of the fish that i know i will not be able to house but would not touch the anomone do to the fact they cant keep them alive long enough to sell them.(due to poor lighting and low water quality) i know my tanks not fully mature but i cant let my friend just let this anomone die. thats crul. he would never do it on purpose but he will never make the move.

my question is. is it posible to house this little dude. i will folow what u say to a "TEE" and do my best. but i got to try.
thanks for your help.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Do you plan on upgrading in the future?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i will up grade. when i get out of school and get a bigger place. i am going to get a 125g

how fast will they grow? my friend said hes had him for a year now and only grew a little bit. i have a 55g i could set back up but i would probley get into a lot of trouble with the landlord if i did. lol. (who needs a house right?)
Can this be done?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

When dealing with anemones, size can be misleading. They will often overinflate, especially if the lighting is less than ideal, in order to increase their surface area to catch more light, maybe prey too. Measuring the actual growth, or predicting it, would be difficult IMO. As far as tanks go, I think the bigger the better in your situation.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Frogspawn,

You can get some nice small sized BTA's for a decent price. Dr Mac and sons (www.drmaccorals.com) was selling some BTA's for 30 bucks that would be perfect for your situation. If you called them and told them what you had they may hook you up with something that would work. If you take the carpet you could see if a local fish shop would trade you it for a BTA or at least some credit towards one.

I have a green carpet in my tank and when I got it the thing looked small but man when it inflates a whole different story. Plus carpet anemones would swallow up any small fish that got near them since they have a strong sting. Considering in a nano-set up you will want small fish I would seriously go with a different anemone and keep your friend's carpet just long enough to find it a suitable home.

Kudos btw on the nano setup. I looked at your pictures and I like how you did things with the CPR Fuge and BAK PAK skimmer, good thinking. I have a group called Reef Preservation and Coral Reef Aquariums on FaceBook. If your a FaceBook user you outta join and post some pics of that, I think the folks in the group would be interested to see it.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com