lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sundiego

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is 60x18x24 bowfront. (100 gallon)I purchased 4x96 watt Sunpaq retrofit PC lights. Will this be enough light for my reef tank, or should I get some more lights? Comes in at 3.84 WPG

I have heard that WPG is not a good measurement.

Thx Mark

I think where WPG doesn't work too well is for really small tanks, or really big tanks. Or tanks that are not "standard" sizes.

Your lighting though should be good enough for some low to moderate light corals. You should be able to do zoanthids, mushrooms and leathers, and many LPS corals that don't require a bunch of light. If you'd planned on doing SPS corals, like acroporas and the like, then you'll need stronger lighting along the lines of metal halide.

What are your plans for your tank as far as corals? What type corals do plan on having? Here is a database that has the different types of corals for you to look at and decide. But if you tell us your plans then we can help with your lighting.

Im undecided on my corals for now. I have much more reading to do first. I just want a variety of vibrant colors, and textures. I will be starting with easier corals first and work my way up to more difficult ones. I also would like some anemonies. My understanding is that I should have a well established tank (at least one year)? before getting into these.

Mark

Sundiego said:
I also would like some anemonies. My understanding is that I should have a well established tank (at least one year)? before getting into these.

Mark

A well established tank is needed. One yr should be OK. With the easier corals to start with your lighting will be OK. But IMO you`ll need more lighting for the anenome and SPS corals.

It will work if you are going for the lower light corals as mentioned before. I wouldn't suggest adding any SPS corals to the tank as they will require much more intense lighting. I have a 72g bow front tank with 570w of lighting on it. I started out with a similar fixture as what you have and just wasn't happy with the look of the tank or the limitation on what kinds of corals I could house.

Ziggy,

Did you loose your canopy altogether? I really like the look of the MH better as well. How many watts should I get? I can probabally return the lights I currently have. I hate to loose the canopy though. Do you have a pic of the top of your tank?

Mark

I`m not Ziggy but I dont have a canopy on my tank. It stays around 77-78 all yr long without the canopy. Here are some pics of the top of mine. I run VHO`s.

Attachments

• 100_0975_330.jpg
    100_0975_330.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0972_384.jpg
    100_0972_384.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 28
sundiego said:
Did you loose your canopy altogether? I really like the look of the MH better as well
FWIW I built my own canopy for my VHO/MH combo. You can see it in my gallery if your interested. MH need at least 6" of clearance from the water, more like 8-10" preferably, to avoid excessive heat transfer to the tank and to avoid splashing which can cause the hot bulb to shatter. 250 watt MH would be best for a mixed 100 gal reef IMO, but 150/175w would be alright.

Have you thought about VHO lighting instead of PC? They give great color and you should be able to fit a few over an 18" wide tank. Retro kits come w/ everything including reflector, and should mount up pretty easily. VHO wattages= 4ft lamp=110watts/6 ft lamp=140 watts. A few 6 ft lamps should provide plenty of coral choices, if MH lighting is not an option. HTH

Well it looks like I am going to stop the order of the canopy, and go with MH lights. The aquarium shop said I could get 3 250 MH lights. Does that seem like overkill? I would think 2 250's would be fine. I'm not worried about cost at this point I have already spent a grip...just want to get the right lights for all type of coral, and I like the blue hue of the 250's.

Mark

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I custom built my stand and canopy,

the back is open and there are 3 fans in the top to remove heat. 2 blow down into the canopy and one large one blows up and out.

I have other pics if you would like to see them...just let me know.

Again this is a total of 570watts dual 175 MH and 220 VHOs

4x96w would allow you to keep a large variety, if not all, lps and soft corals. The alternative to halides are T5's, which can be used to house sps. If you go with halides, 2 250w, 2 175w, or even 2 150w would work.

Innovator said:
4x96w would allow you to keep a large variety, if not all, lps and soft corals. The alternative to halides are T5's, which can be used to house sps. If you go with halides, 2 250w, 2 175w, or even 2 150w would work.

I agree. 3 x 250 is too much, IMO.

just want to get the right lights for all type of coral, and I like the blue hue of the 250's.

The wattage of the bulb has nothing to do with the color. The K rating is what determines the color. A 150 watt 20k bulb will look the same as a 250 watt 20k bulb (though less intense, I know, same color temp). If you get 250 watt bulbs and you like the blue hue, make sure you go with atleast a 14k or 20k bulb. I tend to think 20k is too much blue, but it's all in personal preference.

Well I went with the Sunpod HQI 3 250 MH 14k with the led's. Thanks for all your help guys...I'm sure I will have more questions down the road. I will have pics up as soon as my tank and stand arrive.

I went with what some may think is overkill, but I want to house a variety of sps corals.

I also ordered a RO/DI system.

Mark

When placing your corals in your tank make sure not to put any lower light corals too high in the tank. That is a lot of light for the tank. I expect you could keep just about any SPS out there and clams.

Sundiego said:
Well I went with the Sunpod HQI 3 250 MH 14k with the led's... went with what some may think is overkill, but I want to house a variety of sps corals
I think you will really like it. 2 MH would not have been enough for a 60" tank IMO, the corners would be very dark -especially if supplemental fluorescents are not used. 150-175 watt MH's would have been a little on the "light" side, IMO, for high light corals such as SPS, clams, etc as well. I have 2x250 MH over my 55 gal w/ no regrets at all :) I have just about everything from a sinularia leather to polyps to gorgonia and anemones and many SPS. Some animals prefer shaded areas, but it makes for a more natural look when things grow in IMHO. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom