Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiego
Did you loose your canopy altogether? I really like the look of the MH better as well
FWIW I built my own canopy for my VHO/MH combo. You can see it in my gallery if your interested. MH need at least 6" of clearance from the water, more like 8-10" preferably, to avoid excessive heat transfer to the tank and to avoid splashing which can cause the hot bulb to shatter. 250 watt MH would be best for a mixed 100 gal reef IMO, but 150/175w would be alright.

Have you thought about VHO lighting instead of PC? They give great color and you should be able to fit a few over an 18" wide tank. Retro kits come w/ everything including reflector, and should mount up pretty easily. VHO wattages= 4ft lamp=110watts/6 ft lamp=140 watts. A few 6 ft lamps should provide plenty of coral choices, if MH lighting is not an option. HTH

Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well it looks like I am going to stop the order of the canopy, and go with MH lights. The aquarium shop said I could get 3 250 MH lights. Does that seem like overkill? I would think 2 250's would be fine. I'm not worried about cost at this point I have already spent a grip...just want to get the right lights for all type of coral, and I like the blue hue of the 250's.

Mark

Old 07-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I custom built my stand and canopy,

the back is open and there are 3 fans in the top to remove heat. 2 blow down into the canopy and one large one blows up and out.

I have other pics if you would like to see them...just let me know.

Again this is a total of 570watts dual 175 MH and 220 VHOs
Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

4x96w would allow you to keep a large variety, if not all, lps and soft corals. The alternative to halides are T5's, which can be used to house sps. If you go with halides, 2 250w, 2 175w, or even 2 150w would work.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
4x96w would allow you to keep a large variety, if not all, lps and soft corals. The alternative to halides are T5's, which can be used to house sps. If you go with halides, 2 250w, 2 175w, or even 2 150w would work.
I agree. 3 x 250 is too much, IMO.

Quote:
just want to get the right lights for all type of coral, and I like the blue hue of the 250's.
The wattage of the bulb has nothing to do with the color. The K rating is what determines the color. A 150 watt 20k bulb will look the same as a 250 watt 20k bulb (though less intense, I know, same color temp). If you get 250 watt bulbs and you like the blue hue, make sure you go with atleast a 14k or 20k bulb. I tend to think 20k is too much blue, but it's all in personal preference.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well I went with the Sunpod HQI 3 250 MH 14k with the led's. Thanks for all your help guys...I'm sure I will have more questions down the road. I will have pics up as soon as my tank and stand arrive.

I went with what some may think is overkill, but I want to house a variety of sps corals.

I also ordered a RO/DI system.

Mark
Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When placing your corals in your tank make sure not to put any lower light corals too high in the tank. That is a lot of light for the tank. I expect you could keep just about any SPS out there and clams.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundiego
Well I went with the Sunpod HQI 3 250 MH 14k with the led's... went with what some may think is overkill, but I want to house a variety of sps corals
I think you will really like it. 2 MH would not have been enough for a 60" tank IMO, the corners would be very dark -especially if supplemental fluorescents are not used. 150-175 watt MH's would have been a little on the "light" side, IMO, for high light corals such as SPS, clams, etc as well. I have 2x250 MH over my 55 gal w/ no regrets at all I have just about everything from a sinularia leather to polyps to gorgonia and anemones and many SPS. Some animals prefer shaded areas, but it makes for a more natural look when things grow in IMHO. Enjoy!

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com