Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only reason I was worried about the coraline algae growth was that I read that it's proliferation was a sign of a healthy tank. That and a couple of rocks had completely bleached out. I think my test kits must me coming from the moon (still no here). I left the MH on for 7.5 hours today and I had algae growing on the glass that I know was not there this morning.
On another note. We got that rock today that I mentioned earlier and there were fleas all over them inside the bag. We were totally grossed out. Have you ever had that happen?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ALK, CA, MG levels along with a couple other elements will be beneficial to the development of coraline. And yes, you do need your lights on a schedule, no not every aquarium needs 12 hours of <insert lighting of your choice here>. There are a lot of factors but first and foremost, you should know your animals and their requirements. Once your know that, you can put your tank on a cycle that is best suited to the animals you are keeping.

cheers

Old 04-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "fleas" were most likely amphipods. Those are good things to have in your tank. Your fish will most likely like them too!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, we have amphipods in the refugium, I know what they are. These were fleas crawling up my husbands arm. Farm girl remember.

Tags
coral, coraline, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com