Lighting and Cover help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradD_AP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just finishing the research phase of my saltwater journey, and I just have a few practical lighting questions.

First, if I am starting a reef system in a 30 gallon tank how much lighting would be appropriate? I have a line on a 6 lamp T5 fixture. Will that be good or is it overkill?

Also, I don't like the idea of having the top on the tank open. Is it possible to put a cover on the tank and have the fixture set on that? Any other options or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Than you so much for the help!!!

that would be good IMO. i would like the tank open, especially if you don't have a sump. it will help with gas exchange and cooling.
i'd suggest making a mesh cover.

Excellent! What combination of lamps would be recommended for the 6 lamp fixture....for maximum look, growth, and health of the reef?

i like ATI blue plus and aquablue specials. i would also include a UVL 75/25 perhaps. you are going to want to mix and match lamps until you find the combination that you like best, but ATI lamps seem to be the most potent lamps out there.

Back
Top Bottom