Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lighting and flow for a 29 gallon?

Hi I was wondering what lighting would be best for my 29g. I have a few zoas and a gsp frag and I want them to grow more and exhibit their coloring.
My tank is an aqueon 29g and is 36" long.
I currently have an aqueon actinic light in there for temporary use before I get a new and better light.

I also wanted to know what power head I should be using in there, because I got one from Amazon (songjoy wave maker 660gph) and it seems waaaay too strong for my little tank.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Are the corals open? Reaching for light? My bet is the lighting is your main issue on why growth is slow/poor coloration

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes the corals are open and reaching upwards. I know I need a new light ASAP and I wanted to know what would be better for them & also what kind of power head would be best as well
Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Are the corals open? Reaching for light? My bet is the lighting is your main issue on why growth is slow/poor coloration

What would be a good/ possibly more affordable light I could get? Another issue is also that the tank is 18" tall and I need the light to penetrate through enough to light up my corals and help them grow
On a second note, what is a good coral food? Right now I am just using some mysis juices for them.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't need to feed photosynthetic corals. They will get all they need from the light. Coral 'foods' will simply foul up the water column and cause more issues.
As for a light, would you be looking to modify the lid or remove it to accommodate a light?
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You don't need to feed photosynthetic corals. They will get all they need from the light. Coral 'foods' will simply foul up the water column and cause more issues.
As for a light, would you be looking to modify the lid or remove it to accommodate a light?

Okay that's good then!

Also I have a firefish so I don't want to get rid of my lid. He doesn't hangout by the top but it's a safety precaution just in case he decides to be rowdy. I am willing to get maybe a new lid though, something to protect my firefish but also allow for the light to penetrate

Tags
29 gallon, flow, gallon, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com