Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

lighting and other questions?

Hey everyone, I have a 55gal with DSB, and LR. I just bought a fighting conch, was that a good idea. It's eating my cyano and diatoms though. But anyway, I was looking at a 4-65 watt PC, or making my own canopy and getting MH and actinics. I want to keep some pulsing xenias, squamosa clam, open brain coral, maybe a kenya tree coral and some others. I am going to get a skimmer first, but MH lights are expensive everywhere I look. I was looking at retro-fit kits to mount in the canopy, any better ideas. The LFS told me I would be alright with the PC, I would have to place the corals in certain depths for the light they require. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Old 11-26-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
squamosa clam
Go with the MH and VHO actinics. Drop the clam from your list and you can do with the PC bulbs. Thats my opinion.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Squamosas are the least light dependant of the giant clams, and I think they can be kept under the PC lighting.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com