Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Idk either. The LFS was one source for this information. I understand that LFS are a wealth of misinformation and sales driven but the place that I go to is owned by a marine biology major. His tanks at the store are beautiful and well maintained (a good indication to me that they know their stuff) - it's the only decent place that I know of and I drive 1.5 hours to get there. I've seen this algae thing supported in threads that I've read online. I do agree completely that you can exacerbate this problem by the things you've described. I also agree that there is a bunch of misinformation online, which is why I like to bounce ideas on this forum. Advice here is excellent. I'm glad to see this has never been an issue with you - maybe it won't be for me either. I could be over thinking this.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Only time will tell. Just don't introduce any hair algae and I think that won't be a problem....because I assure you, there's none on that marco rock!

Old 01-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

True, but all it takes is one spore
Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That rock isn't from the ocean. If I remember correctly, it's harvested from land.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I guess the point that I'm not making well is that if there are phosphates in the rock, this would promote algae growth more efficiently than other (live) rock might. I would expect there are free floating spores of all algae types in most reef aquariums. If not from the rock, from coral frags or what have you. If there are hair algae spores in your system, that algae might attach and thrive on this type of rock. With the Rubbermaid container idea, you would need to introduce an algae source for the idea that I was considering. I don't believe marco rock is seeded with algae, but I am wondering if the phosphates that might be contained in the rock could fuel a growth of algae on it.

I'm wondering now if the biofilm on live rock might act as a type of armor against algae. Maybe the micro organisms could fend off invasive algae better. Live rock should be encrusted with coralline and bacteria and films and whatever. I'm curious if this affords some protection against algae. With raw base rock, there is no life or film. Kind of like a tract of land that your rip all the grass off. Seems like that will grow a huge variety of invasive weeds until some type of plant outcompetes everything else.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, being covered with coralline, is being covered with nuisance algae...it's just that we've deemed coralline as sought after or pretty, so therefore not a nuisance, but it's really the same thing. Bryopsis or cotton or other types of macro have a hard time growing over coralline, so yes, in that way, it does offer some protection. It depends on how you view it.

Tags
light, lighting, plumbing, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com