Lighting and water flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clairebear55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do sw fish need lights on for a certain amount of time? And water flow other than the filter? Or is this just for coral? Thanks

Fish aren't so fussy for lights, if you have no corals or anemones then the lights are for your viewing pleasure. You should use a powerhead for flow as well as your filter to help oxygenate the water...

two powerheads would be better. Make sure you agitate the surface of the water.

It also depends on the fish you plane to have? Some like more flow than others, same goes for lighting! I know my square anthias doesn't like strong light while my tangs love it.

Deep sea fish tend to develop eyesight problems with prolonged exposure to the high-powered lighting used on our hobby. Theres also alot of fish that will only come out during low light hours (dawn or dusk). These are things you may want to consider when building/stocking a tank

OK I got a 14 gallon nano I have it set up with live rock and sand I have me some hermits in and my lid has a short in in so now my lights aren't working please give me some advice on how to fix this

joshwill4 said:
OK I got a 14 gallon nano I have it set up with live rock and sand I have me some hermits in and my lid has a short in in so now my lights aren't working please give me some advice on how to fix this

Depending on how knowledgeable you are with electrical, you could track down the short and simply fix the issue. You may have an exposed wire somewhere

I took it all apart and I didn't see anything exposed I'm pretty decent with wiring and everything was all nice and neat, clean, dry and had no salt residue on it

If you have residual sunlight getting to the tank itll be fine. If you have a multimeter you could probe test it to find the short (that is if its in your light and not your outlet)

Back
Top Bottom