Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Lighting Cycle Question

I currently have a 250w 10,000K Halide with a 96w PC actinic, another 55w PC 10,000K and a 13w PC actinic moonlight. I am wondering what length and variation in times I should be burning my lights. Right now I start the 13w at about 4am then the 96w at 7am then the 55w at 10am and finally the 250w at 11am. The end of the cycle is the 250w at 5pm, the 55w at 8 and the 96w at 9. The 13w goes out for about three hours and then back on at 4. Any suggestions on how to make this the best for growing corals and healthy fish? TIA

Hook'em Horns!
MadManMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Shoot for 12 hours of day light and 12 hours of night.

Maybe adjusting the light cycle like this.

96W @ 10AM ON
55W @ 11AM ON
250W @ 12PM ON
250W @ 7PM OFF
55W @ 8PM OFF
96W @ 9PM OFF

Or adjust the time frames how you want to have the day cycle running thru your prefered viewing period. For example my tanks start to come on at 10 - 11 and then run till 11 pm.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
In addition to this, I would either leave the 13w "moonlight" running all the time or at least have it on anytime the other lights weren't on.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

cycle, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com