Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AS much as I'd love to get into this with James, Im afraid he's right MR.X
The Orbit Marine may be garbage, and to this day I wouldn't use one if given to me, but its plenty of light for SPS.
Proof is in the pudding:
And this is only one link. I've got more if need be. But I think this will work.
high light corals

Old 06-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I can offer you threads showing the opposite. "Carey" who is also on this forum used one and she can attest to this. Gregcoyote also has a lot of experience with LEDs including building and selling them, and can also attest to this. I also currently have a 50 watt LED floodlight over my refugium that can grow algae, but that's about it- not even mushrooms thrive under it.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is what it is my man, the question was, is that light sufficient to grow SPS, and the answer is yes, it is sufficient. They prefer the Bluer range of the LEDs, and most if not often enough, you don't even need any of the white light range to grow them at all. Dealing with the LEDs and knowing what it takes to get corals to grow are to totally different things.

If your spot light grows algae, is it just a straight up white led spot?? And who would use a 50w spot lamp for an led in their tank?? You'd have to have that thing 5' off the tank so you didn't cook anything.
A lot of SPS growers have gone back to the Halides, as they have a better light for SPS needs.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

And no, you are wrong...the 50 watt LED spot light doesn't "cook" anything- in fact it has very poor PAR/PUR/Lumens.... despite it's wattage. Mushrooms brown out under it and stretch outward for light. It is what it is? Yes, it sure is. That cleared up nothing however. The bottom line is that you can't give advice to lower your intensity unless you know the fixture, the tank depth, and the corals in it. SPS growers that go back to halides, [moderator edit] must like to waste energy.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are more ways than one to grow [moderator edit] coral and just because its not your way, does not make it the wrong way!
There are way too many people and way too many REEF tanks out there, to point towards Halides being just as good if not better for growth.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 AM   #16

[Moderator edit]
I tried to explain how lighting works.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 AM   #17

Quote:
SPS growers that go back to halides must like to waste energy.
So what's better a 6 x T5 or 250 MH? Or perhaps two LEDs?

Like to waste energy. When did this become a topic of energy vs lighting? Metal halide presents a much, much better replication of the sun. I wish more planted tanks in freshwater utilized 6.5K MH bulbs. HOW DO YOU THINK AKASHI DOES IT? He uses metal halide and t5 for FRESHWATER PLANTS.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Everyone needs to be repectful of the others opinion. Do not flame anyone because their opinion does not agree with you.Please remain civil. Just post your opinion and move on. Let the OP decide which advice they want to choose.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #19

I don't think any of our 3 feeling were hurt while talking about lighting..
Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

That said, to replicate the sun isn't what we are trying to do here. We are trying to put enough usable light over these corals so they grow while making them look good to our standards....it's definitely not duplicating the sun. I guarantee you these corals look much better in our tanks than they do in the ocean.
THE RIGHT leds are light years more efficient than metal halides, and this is why they are so popular. There is no downside to them.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com