Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You could easily light a reef tank with leds for less than you would need to spend on halides. I've been doing it for years.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You could easily light a reef tank with leds for less than you would need to spend on halides. I've been doing it for years.
+1 Same here. I have never looked back either! The LEDS add that nice shimmer as well as the efficiency.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Agreed. You can get them for much much less nowadays.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
I could grow corals with a Kessil at 5ft.
Prove it. Prove that you can keep a reef that's 5' deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
Frankly I could grow any NPS coral at 5' with an LED. Pretty much all softies. I know Xenia would grow for sure at 5'.... Zoas will too. Bubble tip anems will also. So will bubble corals. So many corals will absolutely thrive haha.

Obviously I'm getting technically here but there are "corals" that will be sustained.. I think you're a little too convinced by LED and are ignoring all the benefits of halides. The sheer power of halides and reflectors to cover an entire tank area is comparable to none... You even have a better shimmer in the water with MH than most LEDs.

I'd even be willing to say I could get corals to grow with a Current USA light fixture at the bottom of a 60" tank... This would be more difficult but there are totally corals out there.. Much more factors to consider.
I can easily cover the same area with my leds that I did with 400 watt halides in lumenarc reflectors. As for "sheer power", that will certainly be seen on your electric bill. "Better shimmer" is about turbulence on the surface, not which type of lighting you are using. The bottom line is that the more surface area your light covers, the less shimmer you are going to get. This is why you see no shimmer with tube lighting. If both sources of light are coming from a central point, like a halide lamp or a single led, you are going to get identical shimmer as long as the surface turbulence is the same.

Your current led fixture example is ridiculous. I'd love to see that beautiful reef
Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
. The bottom line is that the more surface area your light covers, the less shimmer you are going to get. This is why you see no shimmer with tube lighting. If both sources of light are coming from a central point, like a halide lamp or a single led, you are going to get identical shimmer as long as the surface turbulence is the same.

Don't think so.
I kept 2 250w Halides over an 8' 240g tank, only 2, using Batwings, at the same height Im using my LED Units, and the BAt Wings were spread all the way out, for maximum coverage, and the LEDs cover much less area, with or without then lenses, that I've hence taken off, and changed with other optics, no matter how you want to slice it, the Halides will crush the LEDs with shimmer. "Disclaimer" DEPENDING ON WHAT UNIT YOU USE.
Period, theres no fighting over this one, anyone who's used Halides and now this type of LED won't argue the point.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Lighting debate

I will. The shimmer I get from my DIY Cree fixtures with lenses is far more pronounced than what I had when I lit with three 500 watt MH. Bright point sources create shimmer from surface agitation. The brighter the point sources, the more shimmer.

I can now also grow corals that did poorly under just MH. The chiller rarely runs, my power bill is half and I don't have to keep a continuous inventory of explosive bulbs around.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bummer, they don't make 500w Reef Metal Halide Lamps.
At least if we are going to debate this stuff, you could at least make it real life stuff we area debating about, not made up stuff.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Uhmm, he didn't say 500 watt "bulb", so it could easily be one of the numerous 500 watt MH fixtures that use two 250 watt bulbs. They are considered 500 watt MH lights.
or they could have been units designed for hydroponics.
I know he uses a moving rack light system that was designed for hydroponics for his reef, why not the lights as well?
Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Lighting debate

My apologies, I meant 400 watts, I used 500 watt hydroponic fixtures on my ATS.

I am abandoning this post as the attitude here sucks. Reef Madness, lighten up dude. Nobody is as smart as they think they are, including you. No need to get mad and defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Uhmm, he didn't say 500 watt "bulb", so it could easily be one of the numerous 500 watt MH fixtures that use two 250 watt bulbs. They are considered 500 watt MH lights.
or they could have been units designed for hydroponics.
I know he uses a moving rack light system that was designed for hydroponics for his reef, why not the lights as well?
He said 3 500w lamps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com