Lighting Distance from Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
How far above the water line should the light fixture be setup? I have a 46-gallon Bowfront that is 20" deep. Light Fixture is the T5 Nova Extreme which has the Parabolic reflector increasing the intensity. The standoffs that came with the light put it 7 1/2" above the water line.

I have been checking out setups at several LFS's and it looks like they have their lights higher up than that. Does anyone know what the optimal distance would be for this setup? If I'm too close, I'm wondering if that is causing any issues.

TIA for the replies!
Scott

I just go that one for my 55g. Mine has 216W of output. Looking at your livestock, IMO, I don't see any possible issues. A pic would be cool to see, with your Bowfront/lights. Mine really lights up the room. I was wondering w/those reflectors, if it would be ideal for a bowfront setup.

+++EDIT+++

I would think other factors might be, how high your water is, possibly temp.

Hi Roka!

Nice choice, glad to see I'm not the only one that went T5. I hear you on lighting up the room, we have ours at the top of our stairway and never need to turn the lights on when coming upstairs in the evening. LOL.

Doh, I tried posting pics and it says I reached my max quota of 2MB for uploads. :(

Temp is reading around 79 deg. It's a stick on thermometer on the upper end of the tank.

I plan on adding a Six Line Wrasse, Goby, Anenome, and maybe some starter corals.

Cool deal! I had to adjust my heater, I used to have a lid, so that kept in some heat. Now I have great pH and a lot more evaporation!

Lidless now as well, I top off with a pitcher of RO/DI every day. hehe. Lots of work, but like you said... parameters keep in check!

About the Nova Exreme- do you need to have a glass canopy on the tank if you use the legs it comes with?

Also, what did you have for lighting before, and do you notice a rise in your water temp?

do you need to have a glass canopy on the tank if you use the legs it comes with?

No, unless you have fish that tend to jump out of the tank w/no lid. I don't have a lid.

what did you have for lighting before, and do you notice a rise in your water temp?

I just had a cheap lid from the LFS, I think the lighting was just CF (not really sure).
My temp dropped a little, since the lid was not keeping in the heat.

Thanks,
I'm looking for a lighting fixture that I don't have to hang from the ceiling, but also don't need to keep the aquarium covered with a lid because I already have a high heat and low pH problem with my standard NO florescent strip that came with my aquarium ( I keep the front flaps of the lid open and the strip is on the back half).

I just bought this for 199.99 (they will price match and drsfosterandsmith.com had it for 199.99). It's in PA so shipping should be pretty cheap and fast for you:

https://www.thatpetplace.com/Produc...es/T1/F38EX+0434+0111/EDP/47986/Itemdy00.aspx

It has 4 legs and sits above the tank. Your heat could possibly drop a little and you will have much better gas exchange to help your pH stabalize. Make sure you have a PH pointing up to break the surface (for gas exchange).

I keep the front flaps of the lid open and the strip is on the back half).
Yep, sounds like the one I had.

vanphyre said:
How far above the water line should the light fixture be setup?....
Temp is reading around 79 deg....I plan on adding a Six Line Wrasse, Goby, Anenome, and maybe some starter corals
I'm not sure your question was answered directly... As long as you have good access to the tank and the temperature is not going above 82-84, it doesn't matter how far above the water fluorescent lamps are mounted. They generally don't get hot enough to cause real heat issues or present a danger from being splashed and shattering. HTH

Back
Top Bottom