lighting for 10 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i am looking nat the final things to get my salt tank gojng and lights are the big one. i was going to build my own (4X 15watt t-8 ) which would have cost me around 30 bucks but then i thought about bulbs and that would add atleast another 40 to it. so i started looking online for lights. thius is hard for me casue i am in canada but i found 2 decent lights and i wanted your opinion on them. now i want to to able to have a decent amout of corals and a nice variety to choose from but i dont want to have to get into heave dosing and stuff to keep algea away. so here are the 2 i was looking at. NUMBER 1 and NUMBER 2. the second one os only a few dollars more and gives me more light but would i have to worry alot about algea then? TIA

how big is your refugium... and what is that lol. i am such a noob to salt it isnt funny. i have seen so many things that confuse me. why do some people have a like a 3 inch part at the back of the aquaium seperated off? i think it is an overflow but how does it work? and what is it for? so what light would u reccomend? u only said what u have

My fuge is 40 gallon and it`s under my main tank. It holds macroalgea in 1/3 of it. lights stay on 24/7

Isn't a ten gallon 20inches?
Anyway, I bought the 80W PC Current USA light from Ah-supply and have been very happy with it. The moonlight is especially nice. It should give a great range in corals. Basically anything except, of course, the corals that would need halides.
http://www.ah-supply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=137 It's a little more expensive but well worth it in the long run. You can even use the AAmember coupon and get eight percent off. Spend over 350 and get free shipping. And their customer service has been great.
The 2nd light in line would have had to have been the coralife 96W light.

thats $121.99 american if i am not mistaken so it is a fair amount more. the reason i chose one of these 2 is becasue i can get big als to price match and shipping is then free. yes a 10 gallon is 20" but big als doesnt sell the 20" version so i cant get it price matched. the 24" is only the housing but the light is actually 21". i will make custon legs to hold it a few inches above the tank so it still gets the light evenly. i am trying to spend as little as possible when doing this. and am limiting myself as to what i have to buy. i am not interested in anything really difficult coralwise to start casue if i get the hang of the salt water thing i will spend the money in a much larger tank. i was leaning toward the 65 watt fixture becasue it is only few dollars more and has alot more light but what i was worried about was whether or not it will be 2 much light and casue algea problems. and again i am in canada so alot of the sites that may have this product cheaper will actually cost me more in the long run after shipping.

Back
Top Bottom