Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lighting for 29g biocube sw

Hey guys !!! so if you seen my others threads you would know that I'm a newbie to sw but I'm trying. I just notice that the actinic light is out I guess it busted but I also hear from post that the stock lights are the best to go with. I'm aiming for a reef tank I'm still in the cycle process but I would like to get everything up and ready so that in a couple of months when adding my fish and corals and what not everything is already prepared. I don't want to mod the hood or take it off and replace it with a fixture is there just a bulb I can get to replace that one that will be better for different type of coral ?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Someone help please

Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might have better luck just asking what brand of 36 watt power compact bulbs people suggest using... I'd answer but I don't know myself. I just replaced the PC bulbs in my red sea max and went with the stock replacement ones.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ditch the stock lighting and do either a retro DIY led kit or mod the good for led's. those power compacts aren't going to be able to sustain much and your gonna have some heat issues to deal with IMO.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree the LEDs would be better (PCs can sustain plenty though), but he already said he wanted to keep the hood and didn't want to mod it.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossv View Post
I agree the LEDs would be better (PCs can sustain plenty though), but he already said he wanted to keep the hood and didn't want to mod it.
Then your limited to what your gonna be able to keep. They make a ton of DIY led kits for the fm good for a reasons. The bio cube should rethink there lighting and come out with something good. I modded my hood and put in an AI SOL LED Fixture and keep whatever I want and no heat issues. Before I was floating ice cubes in a zip lock bag.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also he asked for a "better" light for the hood for a bigger selection of corals. So then the answer is no... The end. Call the company and get a replacement bulb but what you see is what you get pretty much cut and dry.

They do have a newer model with add on led strips available and the HQI model also.

Before buying you should figure out what it is you wanna keep and build your tank around that IMO.

If I come off rude or harsh it's not intended at all.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

No Hun your not Rudd at all and I'm a she but yeah I'm really new to owning my own tank. I'm experience in sw and fw mainly because my job ( head of the fish dept at a pet store (( not petco or petsmart )) ) requires me to be. Though this is my first tank so I'm afraid to mod and end up messing up the entire tank i don't know what I'm doing I will be honest so I'm worried.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiiDsz View Post
No Hun your not Rudd at all and I'm a she but yeah I'm really new to owning my own tank. I'm experience in sw and fw mainly because my job ( head of the fish dept at a pet store (( not petco or petsmart )) ) requires me to be. Though this is my first tank so I'm afraid to mod and end up messing up the entire tank i don't know what I'm doing I will be honest so I'm worried.
No need to me worried. What exactly do you wanna keep? Type of corals? You may not have to do anything. Nems, SPS and other type will require higher light.

LiveAquaria is a good site to start.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would definitely like to have a green tip long tentacle anemone of some type as housing or shelter for a percula clown, a bubble anemone or a blue carpet amemone, a green or red brain of some sort , some nice torch coral, descent size lavender mushroom, orange green polyp colony, candy cane coral , trumpet coral but this is in the long run when my tank is done cycling this is what I would like to work towards, but I would like to be prepared and get everything i would need now so when its complete cycled start buying. Not in a Hugh rush for putting anything in it yet taking my time .

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, cube, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com