Lighting for 95 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sapperski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, as the subject says, I have a 95 gallon reef tank with some very poor lighting and am looking to upgrade to do corals (so far just FOWLR). I've looked everywhere and there are tons of lighting options, and to avoid getting poor lighting, I figure I would ask here. I'd like to do LED's, and was told that t5 HO would be fine for starting corals, but have no idea what I'm looking at as far as daylight whatever and watts and things like that. So what is some good lighting brands and what am I looking for as far as daylight, moonlight, and watts?

You could have a thriving reef with T5, T12 VHO, Metal halide, or LED. First you need to decide which you want, and what you are willing to spend. You don't need moonlights btw. Those are just for your enjoyment.

I'm willing to dish out the cash for good lighting, I just need to know the difference between what's considered intense lighting, compared to moderate. I'm extremely new to SW, and all I can find online about lighting is really specifics on 100000k this and 35w that, and for corals I find "requires moderate lighting" or "intense lighting" but nothing that tells me what "moderate" lighting is actually considered. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Ok..so, which one were you going to go for? T5's or LEDs?
If it's T5's, I would suggest an 8 lamp fixture with individual reflectors.
If it's LEDs, then something with 2 or 3 watt diodes would be what I would suggest.
The fixtures with 1 watt LEDs just don't penetrate as well and the 3s.
Now, what options would you like? Do you just want something that will grow corals, or do you want your fixture to do all sorts of (unnecessary) extra stuff like ramping up and down automatically to simulate sunrise and sunset, lightening storms...etc. ?
The price difference between the 2 is immense (approximately 300 dollars for the no frills, and close to a thousand for all the bells and whistles).

At the moment, I don't care about bells and whistles. I really just want good, quality lighting to promote coral growth. LED's would be nice, as long as I can't get the same effect with t5's at a lower cost. My tank is approximately 24" deep (a hair less in fact) and 48" wide. I would like to start with mushrooms and maybe some softies. Not really looking at LPS, unless my lighting will satisfy them, but I did find some SPS I liked.

At this point you just need to make up your mind about whether you want the T5 or LED. On my 90 I have a 48" 8 bulb Tek T5. I absolutly love it and I am growing SPS pretty much anywhere in the tank. I also have some LPS and Zoas as well. Personally Im not sure I will ever switch to LED, at least while I have this tank. The only fixture i would switch this for would be a ATI T5.

I believe Mr X is using LED so maybe he can chime in on his experience.

I realize it is the highest light of all of them. I saying that I can grow it anywhere in my tank with that light. I also have LPS and zoas which I know have lower light requirements. I only mentioned those to show how the light while being powerful enough for SPS it still easy on the lower light stuff

Not true. You can't keep some very low light corals under these units at full power. No matter how long they are acclimated. I have a Symphyllia and a couple LTA's that simply will not survive under them unless they are almost all the way turned down.
Also, acclimation is achieved through dimming. Why else would you purchase a dimmable fixture?

Thank you both for your input. I am going to look for both t5 and those LEDs and see which I can afford. With the t5's would I be alright getting two 4 bulb units? Or would I be wasting money by not just getting the 8 bulb right off the bat?

If you buy one 4 lamp unit at a time it's going to shock whatever you have in the tank putting the other 4 on it. I would suggest starting from the beginning with your final lighting.

Back
Top Bottom