lighting for a 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

president89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for a light set up for a 29 gallon tank. Right now the tank is finishing up cycling. I plan to add live rock. So i will need some source of light. But If i did want to add some corals or anenome's or whatever else I feel that i can house in this setup. I'm wondering what the best lighting I could buy is. Like what would be adequate for most applications. I saw Coralife aqualight compact fluorescent dual strip light 24 inches long. 130 watts total. Am i going to need anymore light than that for something like an anenome? or some hardier corals. ?? I just don't want to have to upgrade the lighting later. I'd rather have over kill now and adequate later.

Thanks

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong but when you add the live rock, won't your tank begin the cycle again? Or are you planning on curing in a seperate area? I have a 29 gallon that I'm in the process of setting up and I have the Aqualight 30in. w/Fan Power Compact 130W I found it new on eBay. I plan on only having soft corals when the time comes with my fish and LR, and most people suggested I go with 2 65w PC bulbs. So far so good.

I would scond the aqualight as well. They are well mae ad have 2-65 watt bulbs in them and a built in fan. I have nevr had a complaioint from anyone that bought one of these hoods!

Am i going to need anymore light than that for something like an anenome? or some hardier corals.

Then shoot for a MH setup. A 10K 175W MH with a 55W PC actinic.

If the live rock is cured then there wont be a second cycle. IF the live rock is uncured then you should cure it in a seperate container if adding to a tank thats already cycled and has fish or corals in it.

I was looking to keep an anenome and some clown fish. I know you don't need the anenome, but Ill give it a shot. I'm fairly patient, and detail oriented when it comes to my fish, I'm sure ill do alright.

if you want to keep the anemone, then get the MH. almost everyone with less lighting will tell you that they cant keep them. the only anemone that i have heard being kept with PC's is a rose bulb, but even then i would be weary.

MrsPeel wrote:

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong but when you add the live rock, won't your tank begin the cycle again?

If it is uncured LR, yes it will need to cycle. However, most LFS offer cured LR for sale. If you could transport it in water (and *if* it is really cured) you could put it right in the tank with no problems.

Personally, I would feel better if I put it in a separate container for a few days cured or not so that I could check it for ammonia. Just in case...

Back
Top Bottom