Lighting for a 75 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I was given a light with my tank not sure what kind it is or if it is good enough for my tank. It has two short clear bulbs in the center and 2 sets if long bulbs on the outside. I will try to get pic this evening.

Right now im am doing fowlr. U have a few mushrooms, duncans and a kenya tree. I would like to add an anemone. Just want to make sure I have good enough lighting.

Also my lighting does nit have any lunar lights and I would like to be able to see tank in evening. Any goid lighting suggestions would be helpful. Or a site that sells them would help

Without a picture it is hard to say. Sounds like it has metal halide with 2 supplemental either t8 or t5 bulbs.

Hey Josh,
It sounds like a metal halide/T5 or compact fluorescent combo...nice light! If you don't know the age of the bulbs, I would suggest changing them out. All those bulbs have a maximum useable life of about 1 year, less on compacts, I believe. With T5 and compacts, the bulb length is all you need to know, with metal halides, you will have to find out the wattage.
As far as moonlights, many of the site sponsors (BRS, Foster and Smith, etc.) sell separate moonlights, for application on existing lights.

Yep, metal halide and compact fluorescent combo fixture. You should be able to keep just about anything under that light fixture as long as the bulbs weren't old. Excellent looking!

The 2 center short bulbs work. I havent got the outside ones to work what should I look for bulb wise? Is it possable they may be burnt out?

joshpwolf said:
The 2 center short bulbs work. I havent got the outside ones to work what should I look for bulb wise? Is it possable they may be burnt out?

Could be the bulbs, could be the ballasts. First thing you can do, is get replacement bulbs and see if they work. If not then its probably the ballasts.
Even if the halides work, that doesnt mean they are suitable for coral. Old bulbs get degraded, and promote nuisance algae. Unless you know their age, and the useable life left in them, replace them. Expensive, but a necessity.

Sounds good I will just replace. What wattage sould I be looking at ? I will check the bulbs I have. Just want to make sure there us enough watts. Also were would the balist be located. Tks

First thing I would do, is check the halides for wattage. It should be either on the base of the bulbs, or on the fixture itself. Single ended, screw type bulbs, are usually either 175-250-400w. If they are 400's, unless you want a SPS dominated reef, it's probably going to be too much light. 175-250's will still be a lot of light, but would work on your 75g.
Next thing I would do, is only order the compact bulbs, so you can see if it's the bulbs, or the ballasts. If you put new bulbs and the lights still don't work, it's time to make a decision, IMO.
With what 2 halides, 2 compacts, and 2 ballasts are going to cost, you could return the compacts, sell the fixture, maybe add a little money, and get new LED's. With the fixture you have, you are probably looking at around $200 yearly, to replace bulbs, with mid-price range bulbs. With LED's, they run cooler, are MUCH less costly on your power bill, and have an approximate bulb life of 10 years!
Some of the Cheaper LED systems, are right around $180-200 apiece. 2 of these would light your tank up. The ones I am talking about are Taotronics dimmable 120w. I don't have these, but many members do, if this is something you are interested in, put up a thread asking for reviews of these lights.
I am just offering this advice because, in the end, this would be much more cost effective for you.
If the compacts work, and it's not the ballasts, and the halides aren't 400's, the light should work fine for you, you will just have to deal with yearly cost for replacement bulbs.
The reason I bring this to your attention is, because even at $18 apiece for 3' T5 bulbs, which is pretty cheap, my yearly expense for bulbs is $360+shipping. I am also looking at getting some LED replacements myself!!!
Oh, and the ballasts ate usually in the hood, unless the fixture came with a big metal box, if so, they are in there. Also, if it does have the big metal box, that usually means that this is an older fixture, and won't be very energy efficient.

Wow thank u. I do have two large boxes we ith my lighting. The two small bulbs(metal haliade?) Are 175w the others r 96w/act10kk. I will look into the led. My buddy is getting rrid of an aneomnie would it be ok with the 2 small bulbs? Until I get the rest fixed or upgrade. Thanks for all the help

Actually, it just struck me, but the boxes should be the ballasts for the halides. The ballasts for the PC's should be in the hood, or one box is for the halides, other is for the PC's. I would check the hood first, if necessary to change the ballasts.
As far as the anemone, the halides would be just fine.
I would try to price everything out from a best-worst case scenario, to help your decision. Best of luck, whichever route you choose!

Back
Top Bottom