Lighting for live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairtrade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have live rock in my aquarium and I'd like to have decent coralline algae growth, however, I'm not planning on adding coral (at least for no). My fish tank just has a normal 24 inch fluorescent tube. What sort of lighting would you suggest?

that 24" fixture you have is fine. you could change the lamp to something with a better color temp, suitable to grow algae, like something in the 6500k or higher range, but what you have is fine. remember, coralline, like any other algae, must be introduced. if you don't have any present right now, you'll never have any, no matter what lighting you use.

that 24" fixture you have is fine. you could change the lamp to something with a better color temp, suitable to grow algae, like something in the 6500k or higher range, but what you have is fine. remember, coralline, like any other algae, must be introduced. if you don't have any present right now, you'll never have any, no matter what lighting you use.

ah yes, i should have included that I got about 30 pounds of live rock, but most of it had little to no life on it. So i bought a little more (about 5 pounds or so) that has lots of algae on it, and so I'm planning on the spreading to the other rocks. So I don't need to get some fancy special lighting?

na. remember, it's just algae. if you are doing regular water changes to replace lost calcium and alk (coralline uses very little, so water changes are plenty) you can use a 23 watt curly-Q energy saver bulb to grow it.

Back
Top Bottom