Lighting for Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willyboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning a FOWLR and I want to know what lighting is necesary for the organisms on my LR to grow. Something that could replace my standard 20g hood light would be good.

Willy I dont know why I even answer posts over here. Everybody probably thinks I am a joke because I am a saltie newbie LOL

Anyway, from my reading LR does not require special lighting. If you want corals that is a different story. But to start LR should be ok.

Lol, Mike. Even noobs can contribute! No problem with that. And low and behold, you are correct. Just live rock doesn't need any special light. Most sponges that grow on them are low/no light sponges. Coraline algae will grow under normal light, albeit slow.

I asked the same question a short while ago. Responses indicate that the original hood bulb would be sufficient for my 46gal FOWLR. However, it was suggested that the 36" factory bulb be replaced with a Coral Life 50/50 bulb which is 30 watts. I followed that advice and bought the bulb. I held onto the original bulb to be used as an emergency spare.

Several annenpmes have developed on my LR in the last few weeks. Most (not all) of them were aiptasia which I injected with lemon/lime juice. Only one of them has survived and it has beat 4 injections. I might have to use a hammer on this one.

Correct, no special lighting needed. You will even get good coraline growth with normal output lights if CA is high enough and balanced with ALK. This is why starting a FOWLR is such a good idea, especially if you eventually want a reef. You can still enjoy your tank for a good while while you save up for different lighting.

Back
Top Bottom