Lighting for reef tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookechooka89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys have a 6ft (L) x 1ft (W) x 1.5 ft (H) tank. 56 gallons.

I have a bubble tip anemone and a helio fungai (soft coral, hard base). Plus fish, live rock and substrate.

I need to know what type of lighting I needed. Guys at the LFS said I was fine with what I have but after a month, seems as though they've incorrectly informed me.

I have 2 x 3ft cases that hold 2 bulbs in each.

In both cases, I have 1 x T5 HO 6700k bulb and
1 x marine glo actinic bulb.

Ill sit back and wait for suggestions. I'm happy to get whatever. I just need the correct advice. The amount of jargon I have read a out lighting is ridiculous! I'm still lost!

Brooke

There is a thread "best bang for you buck" that deals all with lighting. A lot if people like the radions and the taotronic LEDS.

I was asking a question similar to this about 6 weeks ago when I started my reef. I recommend two Taotronic Dimmable 120 watt LED's. It's got Blues and Whites with dimmers for each color. That means you can blast the whites and turn the blues down real low, vice versa, or run 'em 50 / 50. I love mine and will be getting another for my new 40b when I get that one fired up.

My corals love my light and I can adjust however I like based on what's happening in the tank. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092LXQRM/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow that sound very appealing!!

Do you think just the two x 6ft lights? Or should I add it onto what lights I have now? Can too much light bleach anemone? Or is it only lack of light that bleaches anemone? Seems as though my anemone is getting whiter and whiter. I suspect it is the lack of. Any thought?

Brooke

I'm not very familiar with nem's so I can't comment as to why they're bleaching. If you're looking to replace your lights then start with two of the Tao's and see how your tank looks, I'm telling you; you won't be disappointed with these lights. I have yet to read a bad review about them and they were highly recommended by a very experienced member on these boards. There's a bid difference in the amount of heat out put and you won't be buying new bulbs every 8 months. You will however need to hang these lights so you may want to consider how you will hang 2-3 lights over your tank. The nice thing about the lights is the dimmer. Fluorescents can't dim because of the balast... Do some research about nems to find your answer, and consider these lights. Sorry I can't be more help. Try googling Anemone Bleaching

Your nem is struggling because of lack of lighting.
For the taotronics led units, it is easier to understand these types of units as covering about a 2 ft length of tank. I run 2 radions over my 55, would have been the taotronics if there had been more info out about them at the time of purchase. So, you will need 3 taontronic LEDs hung above your 6 ft long tank. I would suggest the dimmable units so you can slowly turn them up and not burn the coral/anemone already in your tank struggling with very little light. Think sitting in a blacked out room walking outside at noon.

Hi guys have a 6ft (L) x 1ft (W) x 1.5 ft (H) tank. 56 gallons.

I have a bubble tip anemone and a helio fungai (soft coral, hard base). Plus fish, live rock and substrate.

I need to know what type of lighting I needed. Guys at the LFS said I was fine with what I have but after a month, seems as though they've incorrectly informed me.

I have 2 x 3ft cases that hold 2 bulbs in each.

In both cases, I have 1 x T5 HO 6700k bulb and
1 x marine glo actinic bulb.

Ill sit back and wait for suggestions. I'm happy to get whatever. I just need the correct advice. The amount of jargon I have read a out lighting is ridiculous! I'm still lost!

Brooke

If your tank is actually 6 feet long, that tank is 67 gallons. Are you sure it's not 4 feet long? That would put it more in line with a 55 gallon. (I noticed you said it was 56.) Most 6 foot long tanks are 18" front to back, while you list yours at 12" front to back.

I noticed in another post you refered to the Taotronics lights as being 6 feet long each. Most LED fixtures are rectangular or square and work more like a floodlight than the flourescents you have now. And yes, two of those will be more than enough lighting on that tank I do believe. If you go with high power LEDs like those, start them out at a low intensity. A sudden jump up in light intensity in many ways can be asbig a problem as not enough light.

one fixutre for each 2ft of feet. Those fixtures from amazon work great, I use them for my sps reef tank and I have a Bubble tip anenome at the bottom of the tank and he is happy as can be.

The tank is a bit blue in this because I was acclimating corals to higher light.

Back
Top Bottom