Lighting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, would like to go with corals that require medium to medium/high light.

I'm going to be using a 55G tank.

I'm not sure what type of lighting to look for or what wattage I need as the research I've done only lists "medium to medium/high light"

Can someone shed some light on the subject? (Heh) What type of lighting do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone.

Awesome thank you. I read somewhere that to keep zoas you need 3 to 4 watts per gallon is this accurate?

Sent from my iPhone.

And where do you order your tao panels from?

Sent from my iPhone.

Awesome thank you. I read somewhere that to keep zoas you need 3 to 4 watts per gallon is this accurate?

Sent from my iPhone.
Nope. Watts per gallon is a completely useless measurement. A 50g column tank is going to have vastly different lighting needs than a standard 55g for example.

Lol! I didn't even think of that. Seems like a silly question now haha.

This may be asking a lot but could you point me to a website or link that I could find a tao panel to order?

Sent from my iPhone.

Would the full spectrum one be best to show coral colours?

Sent from my iPhone.

Thanks! I'm going to go with this lighting.

How high should it be hung above the tank?

Do I affix it from the ceiling or can I get some sort of piece to hang it from?

And am I able to put a glass top on my tank or should I leave it open? Just concerned about my curious cats.

Sent from my iPhone.

All of the above questions are basically up to you. I would hang the lights anywhere from 7-12 inches from the water. You can attach it to the ceiling, or use plant hangars or some other creative idea to hang it from the wall behind. You can put a glass top over the tank if you wish, but I always suggest against this, because it greatly limits the amount of gas exchange (fresh air hitting the water surface), and this may lead to low ph, among other things.

Last edited:
I've decided to do a 20G saltwater for right now as that is what is in the budget currently ? but I WILL upgrade in the future.

So, any other suggestions for lighting now? Or does it stay the same?

Also, do you think if I put an acryllic top and drilled holes all throughout it that it would allow for the gas to pass through? I have a very curious and mischievous cat.

Sent from my iPhone.

I found this and I think I am going to go with it. What do you think? Or should I stay with the dimming LEDs?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415610297.163460.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415610387.282958.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415610400.542759.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415610411.795397.jpg

I really would like to go with what is best for my future corals but I do have a bit of a budget. The T5's are cheaper - but do they do the same job??

Sent from my iPhone.

The T5s won't be enough to grow some things. Also, the first time you replace bulbs, the LEDs will end up being cheaper

Back
Top Bottom