Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting Help Needed :/

Hello!

I'm having some issues with lighting. I've asked a few questions about it but I'm still lost lol.

I just set up a Fluval Edge 6 gal and wanted to make it into a sexy shrimp tank with a few mushrooms. I looked at the par 30 bulbs that were suggested but I want to keep the hood on the tank.

I was told the 21 led light that came with it would not be strong enough for mushrooms. Is there a way to keep the hood and put a stronger light on the tank? I really don't want to have to make the light visible. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think your best bet if you want to keep the hood would be a DIY job, or see if fluval makes an upgrade for sw

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Although they are a bit pricey look up the fluval sea led lights they have a range and there is a small square one that I have seen someone for under the hood before!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by picokeeno View Post
Although they are a bit pricey look up the fluval sea led lights they have a range and there is a small square one that I have seen someone for under the hood before!

I actually have one of those that I'm not using, not sure how you would mount it but op if you want to go that route I'd sell it for $75 shipped. You can pm me if interested
Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm very interested in the light, I have the big one on my other tank I really like them. How long have you had it? Do you think it will be too strong for mushrooms in this size tank?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Got it from my brother in law for Christmas, but only used it for about 2 weeks. It should do fine for softies in a 6, but I didn't think it was going to grow lps in my 10
Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had an edge and the algae was out of control it was the worst tank I've ever had
Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Got it from my brother in law for Christmas, but only used it for about 2 weeks. It should do fine for softies in a 6, but I didn't think it was going to grow lps in my 10

That sounds good. As soon as my bf makes sure he can make it fit under the hood I'll pm you. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdon View Post
I had an edge and the algae was out of control it was the worst tank I've ever had

I've thought of that and I will be doing 50% water changes a week with ro/di water and of course I'm only placing a few mushrooms and sexy shrimp. So I'm hoping with the amount of water change and very small bio load that it will not be too bad. But I can up water changes if needed.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How many watts is the stock fixture total? It says it will sustain plants. It could possibly support mushrooms.

Tags
light, lighting, lighting help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com