Lighting - Need Assitance in decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomsona

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tea Tree Gully in South Australia, Hottest State i
Hello Guys

thanks for all your help so far with advice and tips,

im stuck on my lights originally i was going down the path of 4-6 T5ho but when i got them they dont fit my Tank

im now looking at a couple of options i just want to get some opinions on which way to go as this is a decision i need to make in the next day or 2

im looking at setting up some basic coral and a nem so that needs to be considered

im now tossing up between LED or T5 HO ??? below are some links at what im looking at

Amazon.com: 30 in. AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5 HO Marine Light Fixture - 2 x 24W: Home & Garden (Looking at maybe 2 of these)

Amazon.com: Marineland Reef Capable LED Light - 24 in. to 36 in.: Home & Garden (looking at 1 of these as and options)

Amazon.com: 24-36 in. Marineland Double Bright LED Light - 8 x 1W white - 4 x .06W blue: Kitchen & Dining (looking at 2 of these)

my choices are limited as my tank is 30" and seems to be and odd size

look forward to your assistance

Cheers

Andrew :D

Those LED's most likely won't support many corals, and definitely not a nem. Unless you had maybe 3 or 4 of them.

What are the exact dimensions of your tank? That will help us to better identify what type of lights you would need to support most corals and a nem.

lol, i don't know how to convert centimeters to inches dude.. silly Americans right?

Tbh.. the 1W led's are pretty weak.. and 8 of them wouldn't do anything for you. The blue's are even weaker. I believe when they say "Reef Capable", they mean it's capable of lighting the tank up, or giving actinic supplementation. I've never seen anyone use those solely on their reef aquariums.

Yeah, a couple of those *would* be better... But if you look in the description of the product it says the dimensions of that light are 33"x12"x5", so it looks as though it's longer than 30", so it may hang off your tank, or not even fit. But mostly will fit. Still, you'll probably have trouble finding replacement bulbs, as there are not many options to 30" T5HO lamps. Just something to think about.

True, well if you have to go with those then take the plunge. I would definitely recommend T5HO's though. They are great light systems, and they can keep all corals and anemones, depending on what fixtures you get.

andrew, what are the dimensions of your tank? 30" but how deep is it to the sand bed? how wide front to back. i think you are limiting yourself with 2 x 24 watt t-5s.

you are going to have to go with 24 watt lamps in a 30" fixture. do you have a canopy? how about retro fitting something. stagger 24" lamps perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom