Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2004, 11:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I built a DIY fixture for my 10 gal. The 96 watt is a good deal but I did not want that much.

I made a 2x32 fixture with a $7.50 electronic ballast from HD, end caps, clips and 2 20" 50/50 PC bulbs from premium aquatics. Cost about $50.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is my opinion:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ighlight=orbit

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Keep 'em coming at least until next week.

I stopped by my new favorite LFS yesterday and told the owner I was making the plunge (last time I was there, he and this other customer were bustin' my chops to get into saltwater), and we talked for a while about what I would need and why I would need it. It was nice to know what he was talking about (research is useful! ). The light I'm getting as of right now is from his store. I can't remember the name, but he swears by the light and uses that brand but lower wattage on some of the tanks in the store. It's a 96W 24 inch PC with one daylight and one actinic and it also has lunar lights within the unit. It's $1 more than the PowerQuad before shipping, and he mentioned that a lot of the time when he would order PQs for customers they would come in broken. Plus I like shopping at the LFS when I can. So next week I will be stopping by to get my light.

This is kind of off topic, but it's my thread so I can do that. Another cool thing (I think) about this LFS is that they have huge RO units (like, hundreds of gallons) for fresh and salt, so he'd sell me 8-10 gallons of water from one of his coral tanks in the front of the store at a discount. That way I'll have some bacteria and whever else good comes out of established water. I'm going to buy like 5 lbs of rock from them too (the rest of my rock will be from Liverocks.com) and some type of crustacean like a couple shrimp or something, to keep the cycle from falling apart. Then after my rock has been around for a month or so I'll get a fish. Still not sure what kind though.

I'm pretty excited about this move to salt. I know a 10 is very small for this, but that also means I'm prepared to do the work it takes to keep it thriving. I would rather have a 10 set up and work on it for a few months until I move than set up a 55 or larger only to have to move it next Spring.

If anyone's interested, I'll be posting pics of this as I go along in my gallery.

-j
Old 10-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would rather have a 10 set up and work on it for a few months until I move than set up a 55 or larger only to have to move it next Spring.
I felt the same way. My 10g tank has been up for about 6 or 7 weeks now. It is the happy home to a few snails and crabs. But I have to move it tomorrow to my new house 8O During the move, I am going to upgrade to a bigger tank. A 15g tank :P Once I reestablish everything, I can buy the rest of my clean up crew, setup my fuge, get an auto topoff... Then, I can get FISH. Hopefully around XMas the tank will be doing good for two Clowns

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
The good thing about my setup is that I've pretty much dedicated that 29 gallon to freshwater. The by the time I move, the fish I have will be waay too big for a 10 gallon tank, and I want to get more angels anyway (going to the LFS today ). That means I'll be looking for at *least* a 55 when I move eventually. With the markets the way they are here, I hope to purchase my first home in the spring. Then I can get my dog too! I'm done renting.

-j

Tags
10 gallon, light, lighting, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com