Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
lighting on a 10 gallon nano

Forgive me for making yet another thread about reef lighting, but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for and I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

The bottom line of my question is how much is too much light? I know I want at least 55W, but do I want 1 bulb or 2? Would 65W be too much? My plan is to keep some LR, a few corals, some cleanup critters, and one fish or two small ones (I haven't decided what kind of fish, so if you want to suggest go ahead). I'm checking out other people's nano setups to get an idea of what I want.

I found a PC 2x65W (65 watt 10,000K Daylight and 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue Compact Fluorescent Lamps) and moon lights on ebay for (relatively) cheap. It closes in 4 days.

Thanks!
-jason

Old 10-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Several hundred watts over a 10gal would be to much.

a dual 65W PC fixture may be to long for a 10 gal. I belive the 65W bulbs are 23" long and cant recall the lenght of a 10gal at the moment. That would give you plenty of light for just about anything over the 10gal nano. Even the potental for clams and SPS corals. A single 65W bulb would also do good for the majority of corals out there in the aquarium trade.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool. I have to measure my tank, but I believe it's a standard. Most of the bulb sets I've seen are 24", so it's possible that it's too long (for some reason I think 20" is the correct length...I need to check). I was looking for a 55W light, but I saw this one and thought I'd ask about it. I really like the moon lights.

But what you're saying is that 130W total is fine.

I'm pretty excited about this little nano reef. Stocking the 30 gallon seemed like too much of a risk to me, as the 10 would limit the amount of livestock I'd be able to get which will come into play if I decide to go house shopping in the spring (which is a plan of mine). When I finally solidify my headquarters, I plan on either converting the 30 gallon I have or getting a 55 or bigger to start getting *really* serious about reefkeeping.

-j
Old 10-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been on nano-reef.com, and there are a lot of people that have a 96W Coralife PowerQuad, which I can get on hellolights.com for like $88. What do y'all think? I'm still going to keep my eye on that setup on ebay, and I'm hitting my new favorite LFS tomorrow.

-j
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Hi! I'm looking for the right lighting for a 10g nano as well for my sons room. The lighting you were talking about "hellolights.com for like $88"... is it already put together and fit the standard 10g tank?

Thanks!
Kimberly
Old 10-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yes it is one complete unit. Just put in on a timer and off you go.

I have 1 of of these coralife fixtures over my tank, it lays on the glass cover. Awesome product, awesome price too.
This is the link: http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

HTH
Waffleman
Old 10-26-2004, 02:03 PM   #7

Coralife makes an awesome light. I have had almost no reported problems with there lights from customers. The power quad would be a great choice for your 10G
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yep powerquad would be good. Its nice cause you get alot of light out of a short bulb.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll probably be getting that then. I wanted the moonlights to be part of the light unit, but I see that they make a separate 1/2W moon light that you can attach, so I guess that's ok. I saw those moon LEDs at the LFS that I'm visiting later today and I thought it was the coolest thing.

I guess it's becoming official though. I just moved the critters from the tank I want to use into my other fresh tank. Lights, water, and sand....then I regroup the funds and get my PH and rock.

-j
Old 10-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #10

The moonlight is actually 3/4 watt and it attaches real easy to the aqualight!

Tags
10 gallon, light, lighting, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com