Lighting on my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think in my current money situation its going to be the other way around haha. Type of corals I can have will be determined by the lights I can afford. What can I get using this light setup?

With 39 watts per bulb your limitation would be in penetration. 20" is about the limit for 54 watts t-5's. You would have to put your corals in the upper half to 3/4 of your tank. you would also have dead spots on both ends of your tank. Zoas and some lps corals may be okay. your problem would be with color and growth.IMO

Ok so what lighting do you suggest??? I pretty much want to be able to get whatever corals I like lol. I also dont want to spend 600 bucks on lights.... I like the look of these setups though.

Can i get some options? Im to new to decide on my own lol. It is a 36" tank and 20" tall. 18" deep (front to back)

If the tank is 36" then that light that you showed in the first post may be okay. Like I said your tank is pretty deep and that is where the problem lays. If you do as I said and put the light hungry corals in the upper portion of your tank you would be okay. If you wanted all sps corals then MH is the only way. How good are you at DIY? making your own hood and putting your lights in kit form you could save lots of money.

How much are we talking?? I can usually figure out how to make most anything I just like the look of the one I listed better than say a diy wood box lol.

i was looking at full setups on ebay 2x 750w's for 200 bucks.. so im going to be getting those when i get the extra money lol

Depending on what you are talking about. I have VHO lighting and I saved hundreds. You can see my lighting setup in my images.

My LFS did. As you see it has endcaps that are wired to two ballast and then wired to a switch and timer. Much cheaper than a big lighting system.

img_1024425_0_245f56a3d021848615d3522c28463f32.jpg

I think you could get electrocuted on some of the ready made lights. I was reading up on T-5's and the articule said that the light bulbs are very top qulity but the fixtures aren't worst beans and don't really last that long. So a good retrofit unit is problely a better buy in the long run. So I would say Mikes unit is top notch....

Back 11 yrs ago it cost about 180 dollars. I would say now it might be about 250 dollars which is still good compared to a 6 ft lighting fixture. It`s very safe and well grounded.

Back
Top Bottom