Lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RnBMum

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just been offered a T5HO 24" 4 bulb fixture for my tank - will this be a good interim option until I get a 165W dimmable unit?

I have a 36 gal tank currently.

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

Well, currently all I have over my tank is a single 24" 50/50 10k/actinic t8 bulb. I would eventually love to add corals or a BTA, and I know my lighting is far from adequate.

The person who offered it actually dropped past my house... with the lights, a protein skimmer, wet/dry filter and a phosphate reactor.

I just about passed out - now all I have to do is figure out how to set it all up.

Allison

Well the lights are an improvement, that is for sure. If this is the 36 bowfront, that won't be enough light for an anemone. I tried and failed with mine until I upgraded.
Either way, grats on the free loot! If you have 1 lbs of rock per gallon, you won't need the wet/dry filter, but the rest will be a great addition.

You are right, it is the bowfront (are there any other tanks that are even that volume?)

Although, if I could swing it, I'd love to swap out my tanks - I have a 50gal FW tank that is only about 2/3 the height of the bowfront. I guess I theoretically do it if I invested in a few more 5gal paint buckets. What do you think, Hank? Would it be worth the effort?

Oh no, now I have the wheels turning. This is never a good thing ;)

Allison

Personally I would say its worth the hassle and more water volume will mean a more stable marine tank. :)

I'm into shallow tanks so I've never had an issue for lighting. ;)

Back
Top Bottom