Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting options with a canopy?

I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank currently cycling. It is the standard 48" long 55. My stand came with a canopy, which I am okay with not using, but my wife is insistent that it stays on LOL. Anyways, are there any good reef capable light fixtures that are okay under a canopy? Most that I have seen that put out decent light either put out too much heat, or are too large.

I do not want to go retrofit, I really just want a nice aluminum housing with lights in it that you just plug and go. I like this light:

Metal Halide Reef Aquarium Lighting: Aqualight Advanced Series HQI Metal Halide Fixture

I realize that a metal halide puts off too much heat to be kept under a canopy. How about any of the 48" fixtures like a Nova Extreme, would they fit under a canopy, how about heat issues? My lid sits 6 3/4" off of the glass aquarium top.

Jared

Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you could post a pic of your canopy and the measurements that would help in recommending the right lighting solution for you. Depending on the size of the canopy, you may be able to run MH or T5HO's with the proper modifications.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

48" wide X 10" wide X 7" high. That is all free space, and back is open. Is it possible to run a small metal halide under a canopy? I was under the impression that they generated too much heat.

Jared
Old 11-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
48" wide X 10" wide X 7" high. That is all free space, and back is open. Is it possible to run a small metal halide under a canopy? I was under the impression that they generated too much heat.

Jared
I would not put a MH in the canopy as it is now. A MH bulb should be about 10" off the surface of the water so as your canopy sits it would be too close to the water.

You could certainly use T5s with your current setup or with a little modification you could incorporate MHs.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canopy, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com