Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
You probably won't be able to open the top or front. It would have to be a design that would slide off from the front.
I can see where you could use a hinge design either where the front had a frame and then a door cut out of that front frame that opened out like a door swinging open. Use hinges so the door can swing all the way open and you would not have to take the top off every time.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank is 48x13x20

My tank is in a cubby because we built the wall to hold a 55 and 2-30 gal tanks. I definitley screwed up the size but its too late now.

I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about lighting so I will research, but I will refer back to here to make sure. I just want to get the setup correct the second time around. Since most of you may know my LFS has got me going in circles. I am almost done reading the new marine aquarium and found out alot of info. I've already asked my LFS what to do and he suggests just getting 2 glass tops and adding a 48 strip ontop to add to my other lights. Funny at first he said I already ahd what I neede. This does not seem to be enough according to you guys. Hence that's why I am asking you.

Could someone help in designing one for me components wise. It would help alot. Just want to get the correct stuff. I will post back my status of what I am checking out.

My stepdad is good with wood working. If I give him dimensions he builds it. How far can the light be away from the tank? Could I mount the lighting comp. onto the wall and then box them in with some wood from the front and sides. The wall is finished in drywall and painted. Maybe I could mount a piece of 3/8 plywood on the wall. I don't want to burn my house down either though. I could put a panel on the front with hinges to pull outward. I have 2-8' access doors from the back. This is how I do my maintenance. I can post some pics. later to show.

Not to change the subject but I ordered and received 45lbs. ($87.99) of LR from Liveaquaria.com on saturday. The fiji reef rock was very nice and hardly had an odor to it. So it seems to have been pre-cured good. I have it in the gabage can now curing it again as required. Just wanted to post that I have had good results from this site. Amazing to order something from CA and receive it in PA in 18 hours!

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 12-30-2002, 02:45 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Glad you like us..

Now I tried quickly rereading your posts on this thread to see what your ultimate goal is as far as what you want to keep in the tank. Usually this is one of the first questions we ask but it seems that we have gotten this far with out needing to fine tune what kind of lights you need.

So the question at hand is this.

What kind of tank do you want to keep? Do you want corals? If so what types? If you had to list one or two corals that you felt you had to have to be a complete system what would they be?

Once we know where you want to go with this tank we can construct our lighting advice correctly. There is no 1 best lighting setup to suggest for any and all users.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I get any corals it will probably be some type of brain. I would say I am more interested in Anemones. I would like to get a Long T. or Sebae.

I don't quite understand the difference between reef and non-reef. If you have corals is that then considered a reef tank? If so then I would say I am more of a FOWLR and some Anemones and inverts.

I want to provide adequate lighting but not the state of the art stuff. Just want a succesfull, healthy tank.

Currently I have 1 perc., 1 sebae, 1 yellow tang and a domino damsel. I have 8lbs of LR inside and 45lbs curing. Also 1 condy anemone. My future plans are probably some inverts like shrimp and more crabs.

My equipment is a 100w heater, whisper PF 5, 1 200gph PH, 1 100GPH PH (to be replaced with a MP900) seaclone 100 PS and DSB with LR and LS.

How do you know if you have adequate water flow. Everyone says 1 but does position in the tank mater. Currently I have a PF and PS hang-on type in the back and a PH's blowing Length wise. I would guess my total is 450-550. All of my circulation is from the top.

My initial measurements were wrong my clearance from top of tank to wall is 6 1/4". I have attached some close-up pics. for reference
Old 12-30-2002, 05:28 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Since your on a budget, I always suggest going to www.ebay.com and search for "aquarium light". You can find deals here that no retailer can compete with.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been browsing those websites and found this kit http://www.hellolights.com/lamps-now...retrokit1.html
Is this too much and is this what I need. Do I want to span the length of my tank? Could I mount the lights on a piece of plywood and then attach it to the wall above my tank. I assume the reflector is a protector of a fire hazard. This would give me probably a good 4" from the top of the tank. If the cords are long enough I could mount the ballasts on the wall behind my tank. Then I will panel them in.

Are the default bulbs what I want to get?
How many watts do I need total for a 55 gal. tank?

Or this kit http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html
I would get 2 10,000k and 2 actinic 03 and it would total 260.00
Old 12-31-2002, 12:01 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it's too much, but I run a 175W MH and 28W PCs on a 20g tank With that lighting, you'll be able to keep just about anything you want. You will more than likely have algae issues as well, tank maintenance and a good clean up crew are going to be very important. As for the bulbs, you would stagger them like was shown in the pic, this will give you a very intense section (middle 3ft of the tank) with it tapering off on the on the ends. As for mounting, from the pics, it looks as though you could mount the lights to the shelf above the tank, you could make a door that will swing down from the bottom of the shelf to the bottom of the tank trim.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

How about the VHO kit that I mention at the bottom of my post. I assume you are talking about the PC kit. The VHO kit is cheaper. The PC kit uses Panasonic bulbs? Are they anygood?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:36 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

OK, didn't see that link. IMO, you would be better off with the VHOs, you won't get quite as much intensity, but you won't be as likely to have an algae problem either. My first reef was a 90g (48 X 18 X 24) and I used 4 X 48" VHOs and kept LPS, softies and a couple of clams. I think you will have a very broad range of what you want to keep with the VHOs as with the exception of the most light loving SPS and clams. I think the bulb choice is fine.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

How about anemones?

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com