lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey everyone i have a 28 jbj hqi witch i started 3 days ago and have been running my light for 10 hours cause thats what i have read and wanted to know what you guys think ???

If you have nothing in the tank then its not necessary to have the lights on. Just asking for algae issues lol

I keep the lights on for about 10 hours or a bit less non my cube just for my fish and for me. :)

sure...months from now. all running the lights now will do is cause macro
algae to cover the rock that coralline might grow on later.

sure...months from now. all running the lights now will do is cause macro
algae to cover the rock that coralline might grow on later.
But it looks like I am getting coraline already ?? I bought. Cured live rock from my LF so don't. I. Have to run the lights or everything will die ??

the coralline won't die and with powerful lighting the coralline will grow on everything.

would you rather have coralline algae or nuisance type algaes caused by excess nuitrients from a freshly cycled or cycling system?

the coralline won't die and with powerful lighting the coralline will grow on everything.

would you rather have coralline algae or nuisance type algaes caused by excess nuitrients from a freshly cycled or cycling system?
so what. You guys are saying is to leave it ooff untill I'm done cycling. So when I'm done cycling how loong should I leave it on for ??

coralline doesn't grow that fast. it's probably cyano. see if you can wipe it off with your finger. also, coralline algae and anything else that's alive on the live rock you bought will live with just ambient lighting from the window or house lights. i have more coralline algae in my sump which is lit by curly-Q energy saver bulbs than in the display lit by halides.

unless you have corals in the tank, i would turn the lights on for a few hours a day, so you can enjoy the tank.

coralline doesn't grow that fast. it's probably cyano. see if you can wipe it off with your finger. also, coralline algae and anything else that's alive on the live rock you bought will live with just ambient lighting from the window or house lights. i have more coralline algae in my sump which is lit by curly-Q energy saver bulbs than in the display lit by halides.

unless you have corals in the tank, i would turn the lights on for a few hours a day, so you can enjoy the tank.

i donno about that. i still haven't turned all 4 of my T5s on i am still runnign 2 lamps as i don't have corals yet, and the coralline has grown a ton over what it was when i had my 8000k T8 light

well, i do know about that. once you have strong light over your tank your coralline will die in the brightest spots, and you'll only retain it in shaded areas.

Back
Top Bottom