Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting question

I have a mixed 125g reef. Light source is 72" T5 fixture with 2 10K, 2 ATI aquablue special, 2 ATI coral plus, & 6 actinic. I'm wondering if I can cover the tank or if covering it will affect the light spectrum that gets through? The T5's don't heat it up much, but the evaporation loss is still 1/2 to 1 gal a day so if I can cover some sections with acrylic sheets it would help. Thanks in advance for info.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Covering the tank won't make much diff as far as light spectrum concerns... But it will heat the tank up and there will be less gas Exchange at the surface that's why most reefs are topless... Hope this helps

Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I lose about a gallon a day in evaporation with an open top on my 125g.

I think if you have a covering over the top though that the light would be muted and not as bright or intense as it could be. I keep the open top for better gas exhange and to try to help stabilize my ph.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I lose about a gallon a day in my 72. I would just leave it open and add an ATO instead of the top.
HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I'll just leave it open and add the ATO. I knew there would be evaporation ofc, but didn't realize how much it would be lol. Also as far as the lights, I know the UV for my gecko's doesn't penetrate, it has to be direct so wasn't sure if there would be any reason like that preventing a cover being put on the tank and have been wondering about that anyway. I do have eggcrate on each of the 3 openings to prevent jumpers (my sixline decided to investigate the floor his 1st night) so will just leave it like that. Now if only deciding what fish I want was that easy a decision! I'm definitely going to need to start another tank soon!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think that would be a wise decision. Light that goes through a glass cover can be diffused and help cause nuisance algea. It`s just water you have to add back.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use a JBJ Auto top off on my 90g, it's about $80 or so. I use a 5g tank for the water reservoir and it only needs to be filled up like once a week. On my 125g I use a 10g tank and that makes it through almost a week without refilling.

The eggcrate will block some of the light to your corals, not sure how much but it does cut down on the light some.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com