Lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking on Craigslist and found this listed:

48" 216 watt t5 lighting system. Includes 4 t5 bulbs, 2 blue acticnic, 2 12k, 6 blue led's for night time lighting. This unit has three power cords and power switches for easy timer use. Used for 3 months then upgraded to a bigger system and don't need it anymore.

Will this be a sufficient starting setup for a saltwater tank to grow beginner corals? It's $75. Also, would it be ok for freshwater plants until I get my saltwater tank going?

What's the brand? I only ask to find out if each bulb has its own reflector. If it does it's great, if not you may not get adequate lighting for corals. Hope this helps.

somethingsfishy said:
What's the brand? I only ask to find out if each bulb has its own reflector. If it does it's great, if not you may not get adequate lighting for corals. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah- I will find out!

And now the guy said he has a spare 10g he'll toss in for free so I can use it as a sump when I convert my 55!

I may just give in and buy them later this week if he still has them... He said he was using the. On his 75 and was able to grow things like mushrooms, zoas, gsp, pulsing Xenia and things of that nature.

If it is only supporting those low light corals, i dont have to look at it to say it wont support more than that. Either hold out for leds/mh or use the above unit as a starting point and then use it to fuel your fuge when you upgrade.

I read what it was this time. I have a 4 bulb t5ho on my 36. It is ok, doesnt have enough to let them grow fast, but my tank is tall so that almost ruins it. Ive kept lps inder mine either way. Should be fine.

Yep. I was planning on using my "fish allowance" to turn my 5 gal into a nano, but I can't pass up on these lights. I'll get the lights and do nano another time.

(I have to give myself a fish allowance or I'd spend all our money on fish stuff!! LOL!)

Back
Top Bottom