Lighting Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got a 125 gallon tank recently. Would an aqua pro 250 be enough lighting? The light is about a foot short on each side, but it has to be better than the T5 lighting in using now. The aqua pro 250 has 2(250 watt) MH, 2 (33/36 inch) blue actinics, and (4) moon LEDS. The thing goes for anywhere between 600 to 1k.

Wait. 6000-10000k right? Not 600-1000. And 2 250 watt metal halides on a tank that size could grow any coral I believe. Just raise it up a little so you get the light spread.

That price range could get you a great LED light system that would save you money in replacement bulb and energy costs. That said, you wouldn't have trouble growing corals with the lights you're looking at.

Thanks guys. I only spent 50.00 for the light. My buddy's brother was tearing down his 300 gallon. So, I picked up that and he was selling his 125 gallon sump tank for 50.00. You could say I got the "family special pricing". Thank has a chip in it but nothing to prevent it from being used.

A foot on each side of the light is kinda a lot, you can grow anything under the light but I wouldn't place anything on the ends

Ok so when you say the ends I can get some softies there, like shrooms, is that a correct assumption? Now, how far from the surface water should this aqua pro 250 be mounted?

willbratz said:
Ok so when you say the ends I can get some softies there, like shrooms, is that a correct assumption? Now, how far from the surface water should this aqua pro 250 be mounted?

You could easily grow mushrooms, and more, on the sides. As for height you'll want to experiment. About 9"-16" or so is likely to be about the right range. There isn't any hard single rule for it that I know of.

16" inches, eh? I was hoping to get a bit further (only because of the heat from the light). Thanks guys gives me a good dimension to go off of when building the canopy.

willbratz said:
16" inches, eh? I was hoping to get a bit further (only because of the heat from the light). Thanks guys gives me a good dimension to go off of when building the canopy.

My 2- 250w metal halide are 4" above my 55g

danbstrong said:
My 2- 250w metal halide are 4" above my 55g

I like them closer on 55s myself. I recommended them farther away for OP's tank just to give his lights a chance to cover more of the side space that would be dark with them if they were below a 6" height. His fixture is much shorter than his tank.

CorallineAlgae said:
I like them closer on 55s myself. I recommended them farther away for OP's tank just to give his lights a chance to cover more of the side space that would be dark with them if they were below a 6" height. His fixture is much shorter than his tank.

Oh i gotcha

Back
Top Bottom