Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to upgrade my lighting to a unit that holds 6 T5's for a 60 gallon salt water tank. I would like to be able to have clams as well as all types of coral.

Do you suggestions as to which 6 bulbs I should use for optimal growth and to bring out the most vibrant colors possible?

Thanks!
:fish2:

ATI bulbs are about the best. Blue plus and aquablue specials are my favorites. What are the dimensions of this tank?

Dimensions are 48”L X 13”W X 24”H

I meant like 2 actinic, 1 white 10k....etc

thanks!

Well, the ATI Blue Plus is a high PAR lamp that has plenty of actinic in it. I would suggest this over just an ordinary actinic lamp. It will really make your tank look good. The Aquablue specials are the daylight lamp of choice for me.
Maybe 3 Blue Plus, 2 Aquablue Specials, and a UVL Aquasun. that should give you some decent PAR numbers and look awesome.

Not sure if I should start a new thread on this because it's a related question. But i found a good deal on a 6 bulb appliance for the T5's - ~$190 with a timer and 8 LED moonlights included. I understand that LED's are more of a cost saving over the long term but what is your opinion on LED's vs. T5's. T5's are tried and true but I've seen about 50/50 that prefer LED's. I know you can do more like the thunderstorms and dimming but just for pure coral care, what do you think?

I like them. I use them. I don't care for the thunderstorm and other effects, and think they are quite silly actually, but the right LEDs can penetrate very well and also grow corals nicely.

I have to agree with Doug here, good light all around. I fell victim to the cool thunderstorm/lighting effect but soon after got bored with it. That feature is pretty useless.

I'm more concerned about which promotes better growth rather than the gimmicky things.
Thanks!

I like the growth I'm getting out of my LEDs. It's all a matter of usable light. How much usable light is coming out of each fixture. The problem I am seeing with the LEDs is that they are very potent. People bleach corals very easily under them, and then say they are no good, while the contrary is true- LEDs are much more efficient per watt than anything else we have used up to date.

I like my LEDs here's a pic when I was in stalling. I didn't have anything in the tank at the time. And one after, it's going to night time.

Attachments

• image-1883755652.jpg
    image-1883755652.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2427846419.jpg
    image-2427846419.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom