Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcolbath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone this is probably a stupid question but I bettter ask it . I got my 180 gal tank saturday It came with 2 36" strip lights with 2 25w bulbs each. I talked with Mike on monday from LR.com and I will be going picking up about 250 lbs. of LR hopefully on the 28th He was low on rock. Seems like forever. Anyway I'm going FOWLR is this enough lighting ? If not can I get the bulbs I need without buying every thing else or what should I do? There is sooo much info out there on lighting its too confusing. Thanks, Rory

For a 180 I suggest 2 250W MH at a MINIMUM. Don't kid yourself though, you may start out with a FOWLR but you know you're going to want some corals in there. 8)
I would spring for either 3 250W MH or 2 400W MH. You will need a new fixture or, better yet a hood. Don't skimp here. You won't regret spending some serious cash for top quality reef lighting now. It will make your whole experience in this hobby so much more rewarding. Trust me on this one.

Thanks Mark, Your probably right about the reef but that will be a little while yet. I've been looking at some hoods a lot of choices and different price ranges. Not too sure I want to go MH at least not yet. I don't want to skimp on the lighting and right now it will cut into my LR . I was going to get 100lbs
to start with but Mark at LR.com said he wouldn't recommend any thing less than 250lbs for a 180 gal. Thats putting a big dent in the fish funds. Got to get by for now. I am picking it up to save on shipping and its only 4.5 hr.
drive less stress on the LR. Where is a good place to get a good hood on line
also What brand is best. Thanks again, Rory

You are doing good by getting 250pds of lr now. Just one less thing to worry about. Get it all done at once.

Sorry no comments on the lights, except I agree with the above. But, I understand the money it takes.....whew! :wink:

WOW, I only dream of being able to drop the dough for 250 pounds, congrats!!! I want to see pictures when that is all put together!!!!!

Joshua...

wouldn't recommend any thing less than 250lbs for a 180 gal. Thats putting a big dent in the fish funds

You could get a combination of base and live rock and that will take the cost down a ton

Thats What I was thinking too but got the impression that it might effect the cycle. Not sure how that works. I would love to put maybe 75 lbs of base rock and 175 lbs of LR.
Would save a ton. LFS has base rock for $1.00 lb. Thanks Rory

Back
Top Bottom