lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiredfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
im setting up a 55 gal. reef tank.im gonna eventually buy aqualite 48" retrofit...i built the tank stand and canopy myself...so it has to be custom fit i guess....anyways my question is ..can i use 48" 4x40 watts gro-lux floresent bulbs to get my tank to cycle?or until i can afford the retrofit. my first tank is a 30 gal...and im putting the live rock and fish or what-not into the new one..will they be messed up by the change in light? my tank currently is getting 4 watts per gal...if i switch i would get only about 3 watts per gal...is that gonna mess things up? i dont really have any corals and things of that nature....just some polyps that are dying anyways. thanx for any info..laterz

I think it'll be OK as far as the amount of lighting goes. Your coraline should adapt fine since that's plenty of light for it. I would not use the Gro-lux lamps though. Buy some aquarium lights...two white and two actinic. Phillips makes a 6500k bulb that would be OK for your white lights...you can get them at Lowes I think. The Gro lamps will be much more likely to promote unwanted algae growth. When you upgrade to PC's, you may want to shade the tank for a few days with some screen to let the life on the rock adapt to the more intense lighting.

Back
Top Bottom