lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok my hood is 36 incehs and i was wondering if there is a bulb i can buy for that fixture that will give me the neccesary lighting for anenomes so my clowns may host with them i have a couple of what they call atlantice anenomes and found out the hard way they kill fish :cry: they said i need lite for them i have 2 and they have lived for 3 or 4 months now but i only paid 5 dollars but before i drop 40 or 50 i d like to see if you have any suggestions

Not exactly clear on your hardware, but there are plenty of lighting system available for 36" tanks. I'd recommend Coralife PC fixtures for a tank 3 feet long... Lots of places sell them and they are great lights.

Your gonna need to give us more info. What size tank is this? What kind of lighting do you have now.

its a 30 gal tank and its a light i bought from pets mart sorry i dont know what exactly is but its the fluorecent bulb you would have in like an office drop ceiling is there any bulbs for this fixture

Sounds like you have one of those plasic normal florecent fixtures. The high output lights that will be needed for anenomes and corals will produce alot more heat than I feel comfortable having with those plastic hoods.

For a 30 gal tank I would suggest two 96W power compact bulbs. These would be best in a home made canopy out of wood allowing for ventalation.

The lighting kit would be sold as a 'retrofit' kit. This kit will almost always come with a wiring diagram on how to wire up the endcaps and plug. As far as the canopy there are many designs out there I would first look in our DIY forum as I know many members have phosted photos and drawings of what they ahve built. The powercompacts will generate heat so a cooling fan or at the least cooling holes will be needed.

Back
Top Bottom