lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just received lights for my 75g aquarium. I purchased Coralife "deluxe lunar series fixture". It h as 2 65w true actinic 03 blue compact fluorescent bulbs, 2 65w 10,000k daylight compact fluorescent bulbs, and 4 3/4 watt lunar blue moon glow led lamps.

How long should I have the lights on? Should they be on all at the same time? Are these a good start for eventually having corals?

One last question, we haven't had the heaters on because the water temp is staying between 79-80 degrees, now that we have lights the temp is going to be higher. Are we going to need a chiller? Our room temp stays around 72-75 in summer, and winter room temp is 68-72.

You have about 3.5 watts per gallon. A little low, but good enough for most zoos, softies, and maybe some LPS.

No, don't leave them on all the time. If you can get timers, some people like to turn on the actinics first, then the daylight bulbs. I just turn mine on at the same time... I'd leave them on for about 8-10 hours a day, turn off at night.

CF bulbs don't put off that much heat. I think you'll be fine. But, I would reccomend a heater actually, just to keep your temperature stable. It will drop quite a few degrees at night.

HTH

I would also add, you may get an algae bloom, so be ready for that. I also run my all my lights at once, for 8 hours.
Are we going to need a chiller?
Just watch the temp, you could always buy a fan and let it blow across the top of the water.

Thats not going to kick up much heat at all. Unless your inside house temperatures start exceeding the mid 80s, no chiller needed. If the water gets too toasty, get a fan and blow it over the water. Evaporation will go up, but temperature down.

I have a similar light on my 75 gal bow, (upgrading to MH with VHO) I still have to run the heaters in my sump to keep the temp consistant. I also have a fan blowing across the surface one of those $7 fans from walmart. It's on a timer and turns on and off with thte lights. My tank stays between 78 and 80.

Back
Top Bottom