Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i am in the process of transferring my newly aquired "used" 46 gallon SW set up into my 90gallon previously freshwater tank. I have been by the LFS a few times to price out equipment and am i little naive when it comes to lighting. Previously my 90 gallon had 2 x 30 watt 36 inch flourescents, which i thought was lots (lol). Now i understand for a reef tank i need 3 watts per gallon. so i am looking at about 270 watts, The LFS has suggested a "power compact" 36 inch strip that goes for about $400.00. Is that a fair price? are there other better options for around the same amount? Some of the threads i have read here have a negative spin on PC lights? what should i be looking for?

I strongly urge you to look into either VHO or T-5 lighting. The power compacts shift spectrum too quickly and may need to be replaced every four to six months (depending on the quality of the ballasts). Before making a decision, look at the lifespan and cost of replacing the lights in question.

afishyonados said:
I strongly urge you to look into either VHO or T-5 lighting. The power compacts shift spectrum too quickly and may need to be replaced every four to six months (depending on the quality of the ballasts). Before making a decision, look at the lifespan and cost of replacing the lights in question.

I agree with VHO`s but you have to change them every 6 months also. No experience with T-5`s

Frequency of replacement is too variable...
What quality of ballast is used.
What manufacturer of light tubes.
What spectrum of light the tubes originally produce.
What duration of photoperiod.
What temperature the tubes run at.

All of the aforementioned will affect functional lifespan of light tubes.

T-5's can be wonderful. I enjoy running them with VHO's.

VHO is still the best pure actinic bulb (from UVL - they say so themselves :)). T-5HO is the way to go for all other fluorescents.

ok, help me out here... T-5 is what? its not a planned sequel to the terminator movies lol...

T5 refers to the bulb diameter (5/8th of an inch). T8 is normal household bulbs, etc.

T5s are very efficient in their ability to radiate light and not lose it inside the bulb, as well as very efficient use of per-bulb reflectors. If you're interested in T5, I'd recommend looking at the IceCap retrofit or the Tek pre-made lights over at reefgeek.com.

T5 bulbs also maintain color and intensity far longer than CF/PC lights (and longer than VHO as they're not driven as hard). The key to T5 is once again the induvidual reflectors per bulb.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom