Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
It's hard to know if your bulbs are too old on a used fixture. I would prolly ask the person you bought the setup from. As a general guide though, if you are growing a lot of pest algae such as hair algae it could be a sign that your bulbs are nearing the end of their life. Pest algae can also grow with a nutrient rich system as well ( high nitrates due to over feeding or moving
__________________

__________________
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
[QUOTE="acanthus"]It's hard to know if your bulbs are too old on a used fixture. I would prolly ask the person you bought the setup from. As a general guide though, if you are growing a lot of pest algae such as hair algae it could be a sign that your bulbs are nearing the end of their life. Pest algae can also grow with a nutrient rich system as well ( high nitrates due to over feeding or moving a tank ) so it's hard to guess accurately.
__________________

__________________
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
I also agree that it takes a few days for new animals to acclimate to your lights/water chemistry as well. Mushrooms for the most part are a lower light coral so keeping them lower in your tank is prolly good.
__________________
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
a 150 watt halide is not too much light for your tank. an old bulb will not negatively effect an anemone. it will just lack intensity, and the color may shift. is there a piece of glass between the bulb and the water? you do need one.

you should always slowly acclimate photosynthetic creatures to new lighting. put any corals or anemones on the bottom and work them up over a period of weeks. the anemone will probably work itself up, or down as necessary.
light shock is another story though.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shellygirl55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
is there a piece of glass between the bulb and the water? you do need one.

you should always slowly acclimate photosynthetic creatures to new lighting. put any corals or anemones on the bottom and work them up over a period of weeks. the anemone will probably work itself up, or down as necessary.
light shock is another story though.
yep.. a piece of glass is there i read on here earlier about someone shattering a bulb not having one... that would be horrible!!

i didn't slowly acclimate my anemone like you said and it's too late now!!! akkk!! at least i know for next time!! anything i can do to help him? he is in about the middle of the tank currently?
__________________
shellygirl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it's not just that. that piece of glass blocks harmful ultraviolet light. it needs to be there.
i would just watch him. if you are concerned about the light being too strong, you can always order a 20 k lamp for it. it will be a lot more blue, but considerably less PAR.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shellygirl55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 124
[QUOTE=acanthus;1228113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acanthus
It's hard to know if your bulbs are too old on a used fixture. I would prolly ask the person you bought the setup from. As a general guide though, if you are growing a lot of pest algae such as hair algae it could be a sign that your bulbs are nearing the end of their life. Pest algae can also grow with a nutrient rich system as well ( high nitrates due to over feeding or moving a tank ) so it's hard to guess accurately.
over the last 3 or 4 days i have been growing a huge amount of pest algae.. i was asking on another post about a cleanup crew... i did talk to the guy i bought the system from, the bulbs are 7 months old, and he did have the recipt to look for certain....

any thoughts on the algae.... am i leaving the light on too long maybe... the dude at the lfs said 12 hrs is good??
__________________
shellygirl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
12 hrs is good yes but I would have the daylight halide on for about 9-10 hrs and your actinic or LEDs come on in the morning for about an hour first, and stay on for another hour or so in the evening. This way we can not only limit the algae growing light time. But you are simulating sunrise and sunset as close as you can with what you have.
__________________
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
water changes with good source water (r.o.d.i.) is what is needed to combat this algae. what kind of algae is it?
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
shellygirl55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
water changes with good source water (r.o.d.i.) is what is needed to combat this algae. what kind of algae is it?
ok, not to sound dumb but what on earth is rodi? we get our water currently from the lfs... it's premixed and the salinity is right in the middle... ok or not so much?

looks like hair algae to me... growing on some rocks, the glass and a little on the sand... don't know why, but that is what i am assuming it is... any way to tell for sure... i am not good at all at taking pics of the tank, my camera has auto focus and with the lights shimmering it will not focus!!
__________________

__________________
shellygirl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting Question MOON light ! JDM SigEp Z33 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 01-21-2009 12:51 PM
Lighting for LOW light 5 gallon JDogg Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 1 02-14-2007 11:00 AM
DIY lighting VS new light hood fishin DIY Projects 28 07-10-2005 08:10 PM
Lighting Question: My Light Is Now Pink mobiusnu Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 03-23-2005 01:21 AM
Night light/Moon lighting Electrobes DIY Projects 1 10-02-2003 03:32 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.