Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

lighting question, can you have too much light?

hi everyone
my lighting system is asunpod metal halide reef lite (1x 150 watt bulbs)
12x sunrise/lunar leds, and i am wondering if this is too much light?

the guy that had the tank before us had the lights had them hanging from the celing above his tank, but because we had vaulted celings we used the little feet that the lights came with where the lights are directly above the tank

we have a little purple mushroom that we moved a couple of days ago on to a rock closer to the lights, it started shriveling up pretty quick... we then moved the mushroom closer to the bottom of the tank and it perked right up

well, yesterday we purchased a bubble anenomne and 2 clown fish, and when we put the anenomne in the tank we had the lights on and he started shriveling up... we worried that the transport kind of shocked him, but later that evening when we turned the lights off he opened right up and looked happy as a clam (or anenomne hehehe) and did great all night and looked great this am... but as soon as i turned the lights back on today he shriveled right up again!! quickly!! is this too much light??

i know anenomne move to a place that suits them, but he seems really happy in the crevece we placed him in on the rock, and dosn't look like he is going anywhere, but i don't want him to burn up from lights or anything...

do i need to find a way to hang the lights like the other guy did? is this just coincedence? is there such thing as too much??

thanks all

Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Maybe I missed it but what size tank?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

if he is not happy he will move to a shadded area giv him a littel time. it may be the shock of the lght coming on. how long did u acclimate him for and did u have the lights on or of throughout hte acclimation and whats you water reading and how long have you had the tank running for ?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

What size tank?

Have you check you water parameters?

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellygirl55
hi everyone
my lighting system is asunpod metal halide reef lite (1x 150 watt bulbs)
12x sunrise/lunar leds, and i am wondering if this is too much light?

the guy that had the tank before us had the lights had them hanging from the celing above his tank, but because we had vaulted celings we used the little feet that the lights came with where the lights are directly above the tank

we have a little purple mushroom that we moved a couple of days ago on to a rock closer to the lights, it started shriveling up pretty quick... we then moved the mushroom closer to the bottom of the tank and it perked right up

well, yesterday we purchased a bubble anenomne and 2 clown fish, and when we put the anenomne in the tank we had the lights on and he started shriveling up... we worried that the transport kind of shocked him, but later that evening when we turned the lights off he opened right up and looked happy as a clam (or anenomne hehehe) and did great all night and looked great this am... but as soon as i turned the lights back on today he shriveled right up again!! quickly!! is this too much light??

i know anenomne move to a place that suits them, but he seems really happy in the crevece we placed him in on the rock, and dosn't look like he is going anywhere, but i don't want him to burn up from lights or anything...

do i need to find a way to hang the lights like the other guy did? is this just coincedence? is there such thing as too much??

thanks all
Hi Shelly. It is rate to have too much light. It could be that the bulbs are too old. Generally you get about 10 months to a year out of the bulbs and if it was a used fixture the bulb could need to be replaced. Just the halide bulb btw. Led lights should be good for many years.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

tank is 26 gallon
we acclamated actually with the lights off... with the lights being so close to the top of the water we were afraid of melting the bag or burning the anemone
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

also, how do you know if the bulb is too old?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

the lighting from where you brought the anemone probably nto the same as the lighting you current;y have, it make take a few days for it to adjust to the different lighting so it may stay in hiding and come out a little bit
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, that sounds good... it's funny, he actually started looking a little better this afternoon... what about my shrooms? should i just keep them on the bottom?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would see if that helps. i don't see how corals would be effected by to much light though

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com