Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Hey tank, what ever happened with the other lights you were looking at, just kinda curious.....
AH, I am still looking for options and I was looking at some Ricordea Corals today and I saw that they needed Moderate Lighting so that question came into mind.. I am looking at getting a Nova Extreme Pro which is High lighting and I was looking at the one from ebay the Cheap one I was getting ready to buy it and I was just got worried I wasn't going to get what I was paying for so I decided not to buy and wait longer... And now I saw these compact lights so I am just trying to break down what I really want and need for my reef just trying to find ideas of what Corals I am wanting and what lighting am I going to need.... Right now I like the Ricordea and Zoo coral so I am thinking to have a few of those to brighten my Tank..... But all require Moderate lighting so I am just at a toss up on what I want to get....

But first thing first I need and RO/DI unit before anything every other week I am fighting Canyo and Diatoms so I know my water isn't really ready for Corals yet. Once I have the RO system I will feel much better and get what I need, also money is the issue right now on getting anything... As soon as our gas prices get back to normal for a short time I wouldn't be spending so much for gas and more on my Tank...LOL... I think we have the second or first highest gas prices in the nation it was at $4.35 a Gallon but now it's at $3.48 a Gallon which is some of a relief.... but enough with that... That pretty much where I am at now with getting lighting.... Thanks for asking...

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Tank, I got my PRO from this user, jerl77 off of ebay, he was the cheapest and the unit came brand new. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you his contact info.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I think Mike hit the nail on the head with his response.

I'm not crazy about PC or CF lights. They bulbs have to be replaced rather frequently and they generate a lot of heat. I've gotten to where I like the use of T5HO bulbs. I use a combination on my main reef of T5, VHO and MHs. I have a lot of SPS that require high light though.

Ebay is a great place to find an RO/DI unit. That is where I got mine nearly 3 years ago.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
If your looking for a good moderate light and for a cheaper price go with the VHO retrofits. That`s what I use and they do a good job in my tank. I have 4 bulbs altogether.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com