Lighting Question Moderate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just want to know about moderate lighting? What do you guys consider Moderate lighting? Meaning how many watts do you need for Moderate lighting? Let me know....

Thanks

:)

If you are asking by watts that`s a tough one because you just dont measure by watts anymore. Things like intensity and par have to be factored in. I`ll give you an answer but it`s only a guess. I`d say 3-5 watts per gallon would be my guess. If you were talking about lighting types I would say PC`s and VHO`s would be moderate lighting and T5`s and MH`s would be in the high light range. Just some guesses on my part.

If you are asking by watts that`s a tough one because you just dont measure by watts anymore. Things like intensity and par have to be factored in. I`ll give you an answer but it`s only a guess. I`d say 3-5 watts per gallon would be my guess. If you were talking about lighting types I would say PC`s and VHO`s would be moderate lighting and T5`s and MH`s would be in the high light range. Just some guesses on my part.

What are PC's?

Hey tank, what ever happened with the other lights you were looking at, just kinda curious.....

Hey tank, what ever happened with the other lights you were looking at, just kinda curious.....

AH, I am still looking for options and I was looking at some Ricordea Corals today and I saw that they needed Moderate Lighting so that question came into mind.. I am looking at getting a Nova Extreme Pro which is High lighting and I was looking at the one from ebay the Cheap one I was getting ready to buy it and I was just got worried I wasn't going to get what I was paying for so I decided not to buy and wait longer... And now I saw these compact lights so I am just trying to break down what I really want and need for my reef just trying to find ideas of what Corals I am wanting and what lighting am I going to need.... Right now I like the Ricordea and Zoo coral so I am thinking to have a few of those to brighten my Tank..... But all require Moderate lighting so I am just at a toss up on what I want to get....

But first thing first I need and RO/DI unit before anything every other week I am fighting Canyo and Diatoms so I know my water isn't really ready for Corals yet. Once I have the RO system I will feel much better and get what I need, also money is the issue right now on getting anything... As soon as our gas prices get back to normal for a short time I wouldn't be spending so much for gas and more on my Tank...LOL... I think we have the second or first highest gas prices in the nation it was at $4.35 a Gallon but now it's at $3.48 a Gallon which is some of a relief.... but enough with that... That pretty much where I am at now with getting lighting.... Thanks for asking...:D

Tank, I got my PRO from this user, jerl77 off of ebay, he was the cheapest and the unit came brand new. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you his contact info.

I think Mike hit the nail on the head with his response.

I'm not crazy about PC or CF lights. They bulbs have to be replaced rather frequently and they generate a lot of heat. I've gotten to where I like the use of T5HO bulbs. I use a combination on my main reef of T5, VHO and MHs. I have a lot of SPS that require high light though.

Ebay is a great place to find an RO/DI unit. That is where I got mine nearly 3 years ago.

If your looking for a good moderate light and for a cheaper price go with the VHO retrofits. That`s what I use and they do a good job in my tank. I have 4 bulbs altogether.

100_0972.JPG

Back
Top Bottom