Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lighting question, will upgrading do much here?

**edit** added piece on the bottom about size of fixture.

I guess this is actually a few questions but the heart of the concern is what I should do to upgrade my lighting. I have a few options (at least I think I do).

I have a 50g tank (36x19x19)

I want to have a BTA and probably some medium light corals down the road. Mostly hardy species that aren't overly needy.

I currently have a Nova Extreme 36" with
a 39 Watt 460nm Actinic T5HO lamp
and a
39 Watt 10k T5HO lamp.

So 78 watts, two bulbs.

I figure here are my options, please tell me what you think....

1) get another of the same fixture and run them both so I then have (2x) 39 W 460nm Actinic T5HO and (2x) 39 W 10k T5Ho which is 156w (I know you can add but I wanted to as well lol)

2) buy a completely new fixture and run it on its own

3) but a new fixture and run the old and the new together.

I really would like to keep the fixture I have. Its brand new and makes the tank look beautiful (though I'm sure they all do) I just don't see the sense and having it sit and collect dust and I never do well selling things.

Nova makes another model of my light that is just 4 bulbs instead of two. I could buy that by why not just buy another of mine? It ends up being just about the same size in the long run.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go with #2.

Is there really enough room to have both fixtures on there at the same time? If so, it seems like lights would take up the entire space across the top of the tank, making maintenance and feeding kind of a pain.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

well Nova extreme makes another fixture that is basically the same thing I have but doubled. Instead one of each bulb its two of each and ends up being about the same size.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I have the 4 bulb Nova Extreme HO T5 fixture over my tank and I love it. In my opinion it is adequate for a BTA and even SPS corals.

So, in my opinion, I would either go with #1 or #2 depending on the size of the 2 bulb fixture.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have the 4 bulb one as well and love it. I agree with Kurt, with two fixtures it would take up a lot of space and make regular maint a pain. Who knows, you might not have that fixture sitting too long, once MTS sets in!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I say option #3. You could get the 4x 39 watt Nova fixture and keep your current one w/ all actinics in it. Your current fixture is 4.25'' wide and the 4x39 is 7.25'' wide and your tank is 19'' wide so it shouldn't be a problem, even if it is you could just pick up the 2 bulb and set it on the 4 for maint.

Or you could just go with #2 and get a new fixture and set up a new 36'' tank (like a 30 breeder- 12'' deep) and use your 2 bulb fixture as a light.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I was in this situation a couple of years ago when I wanted to add more types of corals to my tank. The more reading and research I did and talking with other hobbiest I decided to go with a new setup completely. Now I built a custom canopy and did a DIY lighting setup for my tank. I have had a tank with more then one fixture on it and it is a pain in the backside. I would go with #2 and, T5s are great and you will have enough light for that BTA you want and some SPS as DT said.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found someone in the classifieds selling a Coralife 36 Inch Aqualight With 1x-96W Actinic and 1x-96W 10,000K Lamp PC. The fixture normally sells for over 230$ brand new (this one has lunars).

They are selling it for 90, 100 w/shipping included. If I bought this would that upgrade me to the point I could have my BTA and maybe some low-med light corals?

So I would be running my current 2x39 T5HO actinic and T5HO 10k w/ the 200 watt Coralife 36".

Would that work? I can still get an entirely new fixture and scrap the idea but at 100$ (I know the person and its in great condition) the fixture is almost too good to pass up no?

It will be a little more work to move things around for cleaning/feeding but I don't mind the tiny bit of extra work.. I currently have to move the one anyway.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
That should work. Pretty good deal for $100.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
I'd do #1. It can't be that much of a pain to move a very light fixture around. Not like they weigh 20lbs or anything. Plus at 4.5" wide, not like they are taking up a huge amount of room either.

Buddy runs two of them over his 55g and loves the light. Cheaper to buy two 2x39w than one 4x39w. You have to deal with one extra cord is all.

Tags
light, lighting, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com