Lighting Questions`

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Md, he does not have a canopy. He has a stock top and it is much to low for MH. MH need to be at least 18" about the water or he'll heat the water up way to much as it is with a MH unit he might still need a chiller.

thought he said he had a canopy.:confused:

I didnt mean that, Its just that i dont see why i need to make a canopy when i have 1 that goes with the stand. So i will proably have to come up with a rigged system to hold the lights in the canopy.

you need a retofit kit for the canopy. almost every lighting company makes them. how about a 400 watt MH for $120.00

Aquatic Lighting Systems - Metal Halide Lighting Retro Fit Kits

I am confusing people. I really dont know what it is thats on it. It is more like a plastic cover.

Some pics:
0805091921a.jpg

0805091920a.jpg

So its kinda like a plastic blocking to make it look like 1 big unit. The lid is upside down because the lid was broken.

Md, he does not have a canopy. He has a stock top and it is much to low for MH. MH need to be at least 18" about the water or he'll heat the water up way to much as it is with a MH unit he might still need a chiller.

The light has to be that far above the water....:eek:

I heard it might have to be 12" above but 18 ". I guess you got to do what you got to do.

You can light that tank with 1 MH bulb in a Lumenarc reflector. You can use your current canopy, but you would have to cut a hole in the top so the top of the reflector can stick out. For full coverage, the bulb should be about 14"-15" above the water.

Analyzing Reflectors: Lumenbrite III, Lumenmax Elite, Lumenmax, and Lumenarc III
"The reflectors seem to fall into 2 separate groups, Group 1, the Lumenarc and the Lumenmax and Group 2 comprising Lumen Brite and Lumenmax Elite. The Group 1 reflectors seem to be better at providing a wider coverage, whereas the group 2 reflectors tend to focus the light slightly more creating higher peak values and smaller spread."
"The lumenarc III and the Lumenmax reflectors provide a large area of light coverage and hence are more suitable for tanks wider than 3 ft."
"The Lumenbrite and Lumenmax elite are more suitable for tanks 3ft or less in width. They tend to provide a more focused coverage and higher peak values than the Lumenmax and Lumenarc reflectors."

Last edited:
I am confusing people. I really dont know what it is thats on it. It is more like a plastic cover.

So its kinda like a plastic blocking to make it look like 1 big unit. The lid is upside down because the lid was broken.

The light has to be that far above the water....:eek:

I heard it might have to be 12" above but 18 ". I guess you got to do what you got to do.

a glass lid is a lid. a plastic hood is a hood a canopy is a canopy. the MH will work in that CANOPY. you will have to add a cooling fan or two and maybe use a remote balast but a MH will work IN that CANOPY. If all else fails you could add a chiller. That tank looks nice I would get the MH and a couple of t5ho for actinic lighting. if it has too much heat add intake and exhaust fans. you can get 120 mm fans you can't even hear.

Well, that is great advice ccapt, but what light are you suggesting? because i guess i would need one that focuses more. But what light are you suggesting?

I hear actnics are good for the tank. Do the MH produce them or do the MH's make it up in another area? And if not, are they really all that important?

I hear actnics are good for the tank. Do the MH produce them or do the MH's make it up in another area? And if not, are they really all that important?

I agree that you won't need them with a 14000k bulb but they are sort of cool. they are sort of dim and they make some coral fluoresce. the zoa's look brighter than the light.

I have those bulbs but couldn't tell you, I'm still waiting for over a month for my ballasts:-?. Hopefully this week.

MH bulbs put out a full spectrum of light. Actinics aren't needed, even with 10k MH bulbs. Actinic lighting is "eye candy" in that it will make the corals look more colorful. They won't add anything the MH's don't provide.

It actually is making me want me to put something with actinics in my tank. You know, to make the corals morepretty. Is there anyway to combine it with the MH lighting?

I was hoping for a bulb that had that had actnics but i am just dreaming.

Some MH lamps are pretty much blue. I think those up in the 12-14k range and that is almost the same, People add the actinics so that they have the morning and evening look. The actinics are dim looking where as the MH are high power midday light. Its pretty much personal taste.

mhm. yeah thincat pretty much summed it up. i just love the lookk o actinicts though. its mostly just a matter of personal taste though in my opinion.

Ok, as i have had past questions before i now have new ones. There was a big change in plans with my tank. I am not doing the 90g corner tank. I am now doing a 75g or 55g SW tank. So i ask you again. What kind of lighting so i need for the tank. Should i do MH lighting still or T5HO? I still want to keep almost ANY coral i want. I like the SPS and LPS and stuff so i still need good lighting. Same thing with me wanting a anemone. So what should i get?

Back
Top Bottom