Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lighting questions/suggestions

My tank is 27g hexagon, 24'' deep and has a maximum width of 20'' in the middle. I would eventually like to have coral in my tank and so I have decided to get a metal halide light. I have decided I would like to either get a light that I could hang from the ceiling or mount on one of the sides of the tank. Here are the two I am considering the Aqualight Advanced Series HQI Metal Halide Fixture

and the 150W SunPod HQI Metal Halide Fixture

Just a couple of questions, has anyone had any experience with these two lights, or can anyone recommend a better light that would fit my needs? Also I've read that with my tank depth a 250W MH is recommended. However if I would just like to get low and medium light corals would 150W be enough?? Also if I do get the 150 and would like to have a coral that requires more light would a possible solution be to just place these corals higher up in the tank??

Thank you

gvbender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
What exactly is your goal? Softy/LPS?

I wouldn't get the 150 even then with that kind of depth. The light penetration to the bottom would be very weak. You'll end up with only being able to place low light corals in the top ½ of the tank. My friend has the 150 HQI Aqualight on a shallower tank than yours and it's quite disappointing. You cannot get the light closer than about 8" to the water line unless you mount it independantly.

I would go with a 250w pendant style that you can alter the height and adjust light intensity as needed.

light, lighting, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com