lighting/ refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g all glass with NO Florescent. Will this be enough light for stock that list as moderate lighting for what they need? Or should I move up to the T5HO?

Also, about the refugium, I plan to get one that hangs in the tank but my question is, how does the sump go with this and do I need one in order to have a refugium? Everything I read is just confusing me more. LOL My tank is not RR. And my stand is solid so no hiding stuff for me. LOL

Thanks bunches,
Tammy

Sorry Tammy that will be nowhere near what you need. You`ll need more lighting. For moderate lighting you`ll need VHO or T5HO lighting. As far as the refugium just get a HOB overflow and a ten or twenty gallon tank for under your stand. I did that for seven yrs and it worked quite good.

Awesome, Mike, thank you. I kinda figured, so I am going with the T5 HO, now these will not be strong enough for high lighting needs would they? Everything I'm interested in stocking with is moderate but I was just wondering. LOL Ya just never know. LOL, some pretty little coral or something might catch my eye. LOL

You've been a great help, thanks again.

Tammy

T5 HO lighting will work for most moderate requirement corals, but lighting is not just about the fixture, it is about wattage. So even though you have a nice fixture, you also need good bulbs.

To be honest with you it`s not just about wattage. It`s about intensity or PAR. We use wattage per gallon but only as a broadline. I have all moderate light corals in my tank and I use VHO`s. But T5HO has more intensity and will do a lot of high light corals and MH`s have the most intensity. If you decide on T5HO you`ll be doing good. Make sure they have the individual reflectors.

gibbin94 and Mike, thank you.
I visited my lfs yesturday and spoke with a gentleman that showed me a t5ho which I will be buying probably today. I honestly don't remember the brand or wattage (not that I understand the wattage at all. I just know from reading that I need 4 to 8 watts per gallon, lol) I know they were 48in bulbs and had four bulbs, 2 white, 2 blue... all in the same casing. Very bright when he lifted it to show me what it looked like.

Mike, what do you mean about each having their own reflectors? I think each bulb was in its own rail with its own backing, is that what you mean? I will make sure when I go back to ask.

Thank you,

Tammy

Yes they`ll have individual aluminim reflectors that will help to direct all the light into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom