Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting requirements... 75gal

Water conditions are right for adding coral now, but I don't know if my lights are.

I have a 75 gal tank, with two T5 lights suspended about 3"from the water. I also have rocks built up underneath the lights, ranging depth from 4", 6", 8".

I only want soft coral for now, but all the pet shops keep telling me I dont have the light, even though they have the coral in the same situations, with the same amount of lighting.

Is this really insufficient lighting for low light corals, shallow, and close to the lights?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
You may be able to pull off softies but I would seriously consider a lighting upgrade. With a 6 bulb t5ho you could keep pretty much anything but for the price you would be better off with LEDs.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, or a four bulb t5ho to supplement your existing two lights. Although I would personally go with a 6 bulb fixture for consistency. Or LEDs would be a good option too.

I am thinking they're standard 56 watt 4' bulbs? And 10000k? If they're less than 10000k don't use them.

If they are 10000k+ bulbs, and 56 watt, you could probably grow some softies higher up in your tank. Some soft corals require moderate to high lighting though.

The LFS doesn't really hold stuff for a long period of time and they're in the business to make money. Their setups are often built less than ideal. Lately my two LFS's have been stepping it up and getting better, bigger tanks with MH or LEDs. I'm very happy about that!
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there is enough ambient light in the room, you could probably keep (not grow) zoas and some shrooms with a 2 light fixture using good bulbs.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

They are good, new bulbs. One 10k, and a antec 450nm. I can always hold off tell I get two more t5 bulbs...
Old 06-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkmrsteel
They are good, new bulbs. One 10k, and a antec 450nm. I can always hold off tell I get two more t5 bulbs...
Look on craigslist for a second 2 bulb fixture. They can usually be found very cheap. 2 bulbs will likely sustain softies high up like zoas and shrooms, however growth rates will be minimal. Big difference between surviving and thriving. I suggest some more light for that purpose.

Tags
75g, 75gal, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com