Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to archer-gal
Lighting requirements for live rock

We're just getting our tank going. We began the process using turbo-start and a few damsels (although one was a bit agressive and returned to the LFS). I know this isn't a favorite method, but I will say it has worked pretty well. Readings have been acceptable for the last week and a half, so we added the three clowns today.

I started out with live sand and regular rock. After some research I added some live rock. Now I want to add some of the colorful keys rock from lr.com, but I'm concerned what is going to happen as I just have basic flourescent lights. I'm planning on fish only for now, but I'm concerned everything in the live rock will die without the needed additional light.

What lights do I need for corals if I would decide to add corals, etc? I have asked several LFS and been quoted anywhere from $150 to $350 for lights for my 55 gallon.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
Rudy_627

wow..... you must be RICH!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

lr and coraline algea will be ok under no lights.
Depending on what kind of corals and anemones you want you need anywhere betwen 3-6 w per gallon of light.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just curious... if you knew that cycling with fish wasn't a good method, and even cruel/deadly to fish... why try it? Especially with more than one fish at a time. To add a few damsels at once, and then even three more clown fish, after only 1.5 weeks after starting the tank... I would expect to see some serious new-tank-syndrome shortly. After adding in LR, 5+ fish, and having an infant tank where ammonia is sure to spike, I would highly suggest you return the fish to the LFS.

Please monitor your levels closely and take action to the LFS fast if conditions reach critical levels. Patience is a virtue. Sorry for the lack of help with your lighting situation... just figured that this was a more serious concern at the present... at least in my opinion.

~~Rob
Old 02-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to archer-gal
In my initial posting I acknowledged that I knew the turbo start method was not looked on favorably here. I have a lfs that is a big fan of the product and they convinced me to try it. I have to say I was quite surprised, I have kept a close eye on the levels and not had much of a problem. (Nitrate and Nitrites went a little off once after I got the damsels, but we also had a power outage and I didn't know to float the biowheels to keep the bacteria there alive) I would not have chosen three clowns to add at once, but I have two damsels who are rather territorial and felt it was better to add so that the new fish had some buddies (which is working well, no one is getting picked on).
Old 02-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Readings have been acceptable for the last week and a half, so we added the three clowns today.
How long did you wait before you added fish initially? Also, clowns should never be kept in odd groups to the best of my knowledge. They are a pairing fish, in which the larger will become female and the smaller will become male. Often times, they will outcast the other fish. Also, if you added 5 fish to your tank all within 1.5 weeks of setup, you are spelling trouble for yourself.

If you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, please read up on it here in the articles section of the site.

Quote:
After some research I added some live rock. Now I want to add some of the colorful keys rock from lr.com, but I'm concerned what is going to happen as I just have basic flourescent lights. I'm planning on fish only for now, but I'm concerned everything in the live rock will die without the needed additional light.
Your LR will be fine with little light. However, smell it. If it stinks like rotten eggs, then it is not cured and is slowly seeping ammonia into your tank. LR should never be added to an already established tank unless it's already totally cured, and that doesn't happen too often.

Quote:
What lights do I need for corals if I would decide to add corals, etc? I have asked several LFS and been quoted anywhere from $150 to $350 for lights for my 55 gallon.
You would need some sort of high output light. I use PC lights on my tank, and they are perfect for corals. You just need to make sure you get the right lighting requirments for the corals that you want. Research, research, research!

Hope this helps a bit.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Be wary of what LFS recommends, just a tip. Some genuinely know what's best for a tank, and others like to push on you what they feel will benefit their pockets, or stuff that's on sale or trying to get rid of. I went to a few LFS that were offering me $300+ of useless stuff, knowing that it was useless only after 3 months of research to see if they were truthful or not. Not saying your LFS is this way, but don't just take their word for it and go.

Unless you add in LR that's 100% cured, that has 0% die off, the rock will add more ammonia to your tank. Your tank is almost certainly not cycled if it's only 1.5 weeks old, and has already had 5 fish added to it. Read these three articles about LR curing, fishless cycle, and the nitrogen cycle... it might just save the life of your fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...aq=2&fldAuto=6
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21

I also agree on the clown fish... 3 is not a good number. In the end, it's your decision... but many of us will wish to speak up if we see a well known and established problem is in the works.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
algae (coraline) -- 4 watts per gallon

corals -- probably 5 watts per gallon

deep tank -- more watts per gallon
Old 02-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

coraline doesn't need more than normal fluorescent lighting (go for a mix of 10,000k and an actinic03 bulb). coraline really needs decent calcium and alkalinity levels more than it needs wicked lighting.

Odd number of clownfish could indeed result in problems, as 2 of them will eventually pair off, and the 3rd will be an outcast, and will likely try to continue to pair off with one of the clowns...which means the other will fight with it to protect it's mate.
This isn't a hard-fast rule, but rather a very likely scenario.

LR.com rock is good stuff, and often needs very little curing due to how they store it and ship it. I would still cure it separately until you see no ammonia or nitrite readings, and nitrate starts to rise.

As far as coral lighting goes, 5watts per gallon of PC lighting to cover a lot of less demanding species.

Tags
light, lighting, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com