Lighting Schedule...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennerkla

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I have my lights be on from 9-11 PM, then from 6-8 AM? Is that 7 hours of darkness good enough? Should I turn my lights on at any other time in the day?

P.S. - I'll have a Hippo Tang, 2 False Perculas, 5 Chromis, and a Flame Angel. My tank is 75g with 30g sump.

not sure what your saying. are you thinking of turning on the lights at 9pm then off again at 11pm. then on again at 6am and off again at 8am?

if so, I think your fish will much more appreciate a normal full day of light. at least 9-10 hours straight and up to 12-13 hours. was there a reason for that specific lighting schedule?

You can put your lights on a timer so you don't have to worry about turning them on and off....I agree with billy...they get at least 12 hrs of light in the wild, so i think they should get the same in your tank. Im guessing those are the times you will be home and want to see the tank lit. I have my lights on a timer from 10am-10 pm.....you can set your lighting schedule so it fits yuour needs but, like billy said....i think they would appreciate a full days worth of light :wink:

How about I turn on the lights from 11:30AM to 11:30 PM? And would they get mad at me if I turned on the lights for maybe 15 minutes in the morning at about 7:00? Here is my lighting....

P3N3M4 said:
7. Lights, they are 2 48" lights with ballasts. 1 is a
dual with 2 40 watt bulbs the other is a single with 1
40 watt bulb.

What do ya think?

i turn on my first 2 lights (actinic) at 8:30 at 10:30 my second set go on one is actinic the other is a sun at 12:30 my last set in the center go on both sun bulbs at 4:30 the center gets turned off then at 6:30 the ones 2nd. i turn on go off and at 8:30 the actinic go off and the moonlight go on it is supposed to simulate sunrise sunset at least that is how i do it...hth

:| :roll: ummm, maybe I should wait til I acually know what I'm doing when it comes to aquariums..... :oops:

no

bennerkla said:
:| :roll: ummm, maybe I should wait til I acually know what I'm doing when it comes to aquariums..... :oops:
don't feel that way you are already doing great asking all your questions just give yourself some time to process the info..

ummm, maybe I should wait til I acually know what I'm doing when it comes to aquariums.....
None of us know exactly what we're doing. There will always be debate on many, many topics. The different opinions you're hearing on lighting and lighting schedules are that, opinion.

I think the only 100% truth is that your fish should have at least a full days worth of light. Psychologicaly, even people get stressed if they aren't exposed to a normal day and night cycle, the same should hold true for fish.

You are doing exactly what you should be. Asking questions to gather information, both factual and subjective so that you can make an informed decision to suit your specific needs and the opinion you form on your own.

Take a breath, shake your head out, read through it all again, and ask any new questions that come up or ones that don't seem to have been answered.

With my lighting...

Lights, they are 2 48" lights with ballasts. 1 is a
dual with 2 40 watt bulbs the other is a single with 1
40 watt bulb.

Could I turn my 1 40 watt on from 8-11 and have my other 2 turn on from 9-10?

Back
Top Bottom