Lighting suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just looking for some suggestions for lighting my 20 gal tank. It's dimensions are...30"long x 12"deepx 12"wide. It is fish only right now but I would like to cover the bases for future corals...I'm considering 2x55 watt PC's would this be sufficient? thx for any help

Yep, that would be sufficent in my mind.

I have a 20 H and I got 2 36W PH's on it. Im gonna jump up to 55W bulbs here in a few months.

The 55W will work. On my 20L I use 1 x 175W MH and 2 X 28W PC. Does a real good job and I can keep what ever I want.

On my 30 long I am using a Smart Lite with 65 watt setup.
Keeping Coral, Fish & Anenome with no problem.

being that the tank is only 12" deep some of the less extravagant lighting setups will work. I think 2 55w pcs would be enough to keep several coral.
good luck :)

Thanks for the info, one more question...I will be installing these 2x55W using a retrofit from somewhere. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/feedback about online sellers. Also, about how high will I want to keep the lamps from the water and do CF's require a glass/plexi shield? Thx again!

I use ahsupply for my ballast and refelctor kits on my PC lights. I then use hellolights.com as a source for my bulbs.

jackdp said:
Also, about how high will I want to keep the lamps from the water and do CF's require a glass/plexi shield? Thx again!

I strongly recommend waterproof endcaps. They are a pain for CF but well worth it.

The distance from the water should be at least 3" for PC. More if you prefer to wipe salt off the bulbs less often. IMO any barrier between the bulb and the water should be avoided except for HQI.

you could probably afford a metal halide retrofit with a 5500k bulb from. www.aquaticlight.com . a freind of mine order from them and was very happy with them. keep in mind youll need a reflector. or you can paint the inside of your canopy white.

Thx, I've been pondering the MH option and I'm not sure I really want that much heat over a 20 gal tank. I work for a stage lighting company and we are Ushio dealers, so I could probably get the lamps cheap though. I hadn't come across that link.

Back
Top Bottom